LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help! Quick EGR/Header question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Quick EGR/Header question.

Soooo i'm about to put in some used pacesetter mid-length headers into my '95 LT1 and i have EGR issues. I placed the headers in position and saw that the EGR tubes don't connect to the threads on the headers. I'm going to just plug up the EGR tubes on the headers so i can get my car to run today. I have plugs for the tops of the headers and i'm not sure if i should plug up the opening in the back of the passenger side header that feeds into the back of the intake manifold. I could leave it open like stock or i could pinch in a peace of gasket or sheet metal into the connection to seal it off so no exhaust air will flow into the intake manifold. What should i do? Also, should i pull the AIR relay or leave it plugged in? Will it turn on my check engine light?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You are going to have to plug the hole at the rear of the header that feeds the EGR. For now, if you want, you can just leave the EGR valve on with the vacuum supply to it capped off. It will act as a block off plate. You don't need to worry about the other port with the tube that goes to the header (you can do your block off plates later).

You also seem to be mixing up the EGR with AIR. If you are also deleting AIR, you need to cap the holes that are near the front of the header on each side and leave the relay and a good fuse in place.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks shbox. I have it all together. I ended up capping off the AIR check valves and hooking up the EGR. Now all i have to do is remove some stuck oxygen sensors and replace my optispark!