LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why do I smell clutch if.....

Old 08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I smell clutch if.....

It's a 96 Camaro SS.

Why do I smell clutch if clutch disk isn't bad at all? Pulled the clutch out today after being sure it was going bad for smelling the clutch a lot, only to find out the clutch disk isn't actually bad at all !!

I bought the car this way, and the clutch on it isn't the factory one but it's the advance auto replacement. Looking at the flywheel I don't think it was ever resurfuced, could that do it?

Let me know your opinion guys, it's a complete stock SS, no mods what so ever.

Your help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch smell is the result of slippage. Nothing else.

Either the clutch is worn enough to the point it can not properly grab, thefore slipping and getting hot. Or you are not, respectfully, driving a manual shift properly.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Clutch smell is the result of slippage. Nothing else.

Either the clutch is worn enough to the point it can not properly grab, thefore slipping and getting hot. Or you are not, respectfully, driving a manual shift properly.
Thanks for the info bro, let's take the last option "Or you are not, respectfully, driving a manual shift properly" off the list as I don't think I drove this car for more than 1 mile since I got it (Project) , I only drove it onto the uhaul dolly and then off the dolly into my shop and in both times I smelled the clutch real bad.

Next, if clutch disk is OK, and flywheel has never been resurfaced, could that cause the slippage even with a good clutch disk? Just trying to understand what I need to do since it's all out now and I wanna fix it.

Thanks again brother.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that could cause the slip.. Get it resurfaced or get a new one and double check the disk to make sure it's ok and try it out..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering you are at stock power levels, I doubt that a flywheel (unless its really concave), that was not properly resurfaced, would result in that much slippage. I would expect it to chatter much more and just not be very smooth.

Maybe the disk in it is crappy cheap *** friction material that simply has no grip. Most of the parts house disks IMHO are ****. If you want a real nice clutch for stock power levels, get a Kevlar disk like a Spec stage 2 and definitely get the FW resurfaced. BTW, I competent machine shop can resurface the pressure plate friction surface too. I have done mine twice. Spec will sell you just the disk if you want.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good info. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=wrd1972;12126850]Considering you are at stock power levels, I doubt that a flywheel (unless its really concave), that was not properly resurfaced, would result in that much slippage. I would expect it to chatter much more and just not be very smooth.

Most of the parts house disks IMHO are ****

I must agree with you on that one.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Launching!

could it be that the pressure plate has gone to crap and has lost some strength?

Search this Thread