LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cold misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold misfire

car is a 96 lt1 with the vented opti. its raining today and has been all morning / overnight. i go start the car, everythings normal for when its cold. im going down the street and run through a puddle, then my damn ses light starts flashes. great, random misfire. so i go on driving and baby it and it clears up intermittently, comes back on and eventually i get to the grocery store down the road. go in, get my stuff, come out, start the car - by now its warmer, and the misfire is gone along with the flashing ses. i am half expecting it to misfire when i start it up in a few hours, but again, maybe i'll get lucky.

what do you guys think? it missed in open loop, intermittently, could be anything, but when it goes to closed loop its fine, no miss at idle, low end, no mid or high rpm miss (i spun it to 5500 to make sure) and wot has no miss.

in open loop it was mostly in the low mid range missing - at idle it wouldn't flash. even if i revved it at idle it was fine. weird. maybe fuel related?

i'm hoping i just sprayed my maf through my cai and that itll dry up or something.

Last edited by trippinholyman; 09-11-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

well, 2 1/2 hours later start up go for a ride around the block. temp gauge was in the cold, no random misses though i thought i noticed one around 2500 in 2nd gear but i was prolly just imagining it. i'm gonna let it sit overnight and if nothing happens with it tomorrow morn. chalk it up to coincidence.

don't drive in puddles it seems
Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Yeah avoid puddles at all cost with the opti, Last week I was caught in a bad rainstorm and couldnt see the road was flooded about 3 inches and sure enough it killed the car and I had to wait for a tow, luckily then next day it dried out and has run fine since then. but after that ordeal I WILL NOT drive in the rain
Old 09-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Launching!

yeah its a dd unfortunately so i drive in the rain sometimes. i try to avoid puddles but i was lazy and didnt pull the wheel to the right enough and barely touched it but still huge splash haha
Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

I know that opti's are sensative, but theyr only going to misfire if condensation is getting inside the opti. If you'r vent system is working properly, and the cap is sealed, you shouldent have a problem at all. I still have the factory opti on my 110k mile 1993 lt1, so it actually lived its life unvented. I replaced the cap and rotor with an msd set, and sealed the cap with rtv. Since then iv driven it through a flood that i thought i was gunna float away in, and huge rainstorms all year here in colo. And my car hasnt ever even had a misfire so far.

What i mean to say is, if your opti works fine, and then craps out when it gets wet, the water is getting in. But if it still works fine, just do a cap rotor and you'll be fine.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

well yes that is true, but for me at least I wasn't talking about a little puddle, the whole road was flooded! But like you said 93TA if it does it on just any little puddle or splash there is a bigger problem.
However it is still a good idea to try and avoid water when possible.

Quick Reply: cold misfire