LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

F**k my life

Old 09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F**k my life

Ok, so this 383 build is ending up just being problem after ****** F Ning problem.

So here is the new problem, I was about ready to bolt on my opti today and it would not go on.

The timing set that is on there is not the right one apparently. I bought it off a local guy and he told me it was for a LT1 and it is a Coyes set. Well the opti I have has a big shaft with two o-rings on it and the timing set that is on the motor now has a way smaller hole that is splined.

So could it be for a different opti, or am I just going to have to ruin all the gaskets again and disassemble the motor and install the different timing sprocket?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

So after doing some research I have found that the timing sprocket is a non-vented unit when the opti and timing cover I have is for a vented unit. But wouldn't my cam be different? **** my life
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

you kno....the whole **** my life thing is stupid and childish to say...i wish i could slap you up the back of your head for saying that.....NOW calm down take a chill pill, take a break and get aaway from the car for a bit. and its not that hard to swap them out...when ever you get pissed just say, 3 2 1, 1 2 3, nothing is bothering me...lol
Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam is the same, only difference is the dowel can be shorter on the non-vented because it doesnt drive the opti.

You need a different timing set, or a splined opti.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get a different timing set. i would rather have a vented opti in the long run. and check the dowel length when your in there
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Cam is the same, only difference is the dowel can be shorter on the non-vented because it doesnt drive the opti.

You need a different timing set, or a splined opti.
93-94 cams don't have the large hole in the front like the 95-97 cams do (for the vented opti). But, I assume he has the stock cam (97) and only has a splined opti cam gear on there. So, he just needs to change the cam gear or set to the later version. If he went to a splined opti, he would also have to change the timing cover and the opti harness. Plus it would be a step backward in reliability.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cam is not the same, splined opti would have nothing to catch on a 95+ vented cam.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah true, I thought they were the same because they both have the dowel. But I guess it does need the hole too, sorry.

At any rate, I agree that he should just need a vented timing set
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I am going to just swap out the timing gear on top. I have it, but its just a pain since I was ready to start assembling everything.

The cam is for a 96 car, I told Lloyd that when I ordered it. So hoping that is fine.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

The cam will be fine just check your dowel pin length like mentioned above, it might need grinding down it might not. Just got off what the length was on your old cam.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Puck
Cam is not the same, splined opti would have nothing to catch on a 95+ vented cam.
You are a retard, yet again...

The ONLY difference in a cam that is used in a 93-94 non-vented opti setup vs a 95-97 vented one is the dowel pin length as it sticks out of the cam itself.

On 93-94 NON-vented optis, the cam pin length is short to sit flush with the cam sprocket, so it can sit behind the timing cover. The opti uses a spline-drive that is cut into the cam sprocket. Nothing protudes into the cam on this setup.

On 95-97 Vented optis, the cam pin length it long to drive the optispark. The optispark uses a centering dowel with o-rings to center itself onto the cam in this design, and the cam sprocket needs to have a sufficiently sized hole to allow for this.

The hole in the center of the cam is the same for all years. Only the dowel pin length is it protudes from the face of the cam needs to be changed depending on the optispark configuration you have. All aftermarket cams for LT1/LT4 have the large hole in the center, and you can change the dowel length by tapping it in further, pulling it out further, or changing it entirely.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats what I thought....
Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
You are a retard, yet again...

The ONLY difference in a cam that is used in a 93-94 non-vented opti setup vs a 95-97 vented one is the dowel pin length as it sticks out of the cam itself.

On 93-94 NON-vented optis, the cam pin length is short to sit flush with the cam sprocket, so it can sit behind the timing cover. The opti uses a spline-drive that is cut into the cam sprocket. Nothing protudes into the cam on this setup.

On 95-97 Vented optis, the cam pin length it long to drive the optispark. The optispark uses a centering dowel with o-rings to center itself onto the cam in this design, and the cam sprocket needs to have a sufficiently sized hole to allow for this.

The hole in the center of the cam is the same for all years. Only the dowel pin length is it protudes from the face of the cam needs to be changed depending on the optispark configuration you have. All aftermarket cams for LT1/LT4 have the large hole in the center, and you can change the dowel length by tapping it in further, pulling it out further, or changing it entirely.
x2!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

The wonderful multiple combinations of parts with the LT1..
Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

When I saw the thread title was I worried something bad had happened to your build.
It's good to see that it's an easy fix.
Sorry you have to do work over again; but hey, it's better than finding out you put your
main caps on backwards or miscalculated your compression ratio, right?

Remember to degree the cam, those things have been known to come in +/- a few degrees.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by James Montigny
When I saw the thread title was I worried something bad had happened to your build.
It's good to see that it's an easy fix.
Sorry you have to do work over again; but hey, it's better than finding out you put your
main caps on backwards or miscalculated your compression ratio, right?

Remember to degree the cam, those things have been known to come in +/- a few degrees.
Yeah, I am taking the motor back to a guy in Topeka. All I have to say is that if I EVER build anything again he will be doing the work. He has put long after-hours, hours in on this project and I really appreciate him always meeting me at 7-8 at night since I don't get off until 6.

He wants the whole thing back so he can degree the cam the right way and make sure everything is good before I start putting it back together.....again. LOL

I was a little lit and angry on Sunday but I've calmed down and realized that things could be A LOT worse.

BTW, James, I still need to make it over there to check that beast out!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Great to hear he's taking care of you.

Stop by any time, I may actually finally get it to the track.
I've been to busy to get her over to the dyno and double-check everything these last few weeks.

I know how you feel though man, these projects just seem to drag on
for ever and problems pop up where you least expect them. All part of the
build process though. Custom is a bumpy road.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by James Montigny
main caps on backwards
or miscalculated your compression ratio, right?

who would do this?

OP, Just take a break. Once your clear headed, jump back in the ring. And knock it out!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokin93z
who would do this?

OP, Just take a break. Once your clear headed, jump back in the ring. And knock it out!
LOL yeah. I have a tendency of freaking out over little things then realizing that I'm just being dumb about it. I'm taking the motor to him tonight and then hopefully have it back together sometime next week.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

man i would order the right part, take the time it takes for it to come in and get away from the car. I was pissed at my car before and almost sold it just to get it out of my life.

Then i shut the garage door and didnt go back out there for almost a month. After a month of mowing the yard and looking over to see my 73 in pieces. I was ready to go neck deep again.

Search this Thread