LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Could this be my Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Could this be my Opti?

the other night i was cruising and went from 4th to 6th and the car started hesitating and stumbling bad. no load not speeding just cruising. the car hasnt stopped running like cracp ever since! i replaced my FPR thinking it was that but it wasnt. everything is brand new fuel pump, filter, regulator, coil, wires, plugs, icm. no arcing no nothing. except for this sever stumble and hesitation. at idle its the worst. misfiring and popping. the exhaust actually sounds alot louder too. its odd because above 4k or so it actually runs alittle better but theirs NO power. the only part i didnt replace is my opti. does that sound like symptoms of a failing opti ? im going to try to find my multimeter and try testing it. any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
the other night i was cruising and went from 4th to 6th and the car started hesitating and stumbling bad. no load not speeding just cruising. the car hasnt stopped running like cracp ever since! i replaced my FPR thinking it was that but it wasnt. everything is brand new fuel pump, filter, regulator, coil, wires, plugs, icm. no arcing no nothing. except for this sever stumble and hesitation. at idle its the worst. misfiring and popping. the exhaust actually sounds alot louder too. its odd because above 4k or so it actually runs alittle better but theirs NO power. the only part i didnt replace is my opti. does that sound like symptoms of a failing opti ? im going to try to find my multimeter and try testing it. any input would be appreciated.
sounds like my brothers problem. he is losing power above 4500rpm and hesitating and backfiring. his problem is the cap and rotor on the opti. if it really is your opti it will get more and more noticable over time as it gets worse so eventually u will figure it out.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See if you're throwing codes.

Has it popped an SES light yet?

Tach jumping around by chance?

The opti is certainly suspect.

Could be the ICM too though.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sepno77
sounds like my brothers problem. he is losing power above 4500rpm and hesitating and backfiring. his problem is the cap and rotor on the opti. if it really is your opti it will get more and more noticable over time as it gets worse so eventually u will figure it out.
i had changed the cap and rotor when i rebuilt my engine. i got the MSD cap and rotor which is vented. it does feel like its getting worse...

Originally Posted by gregrob
See if you're throwing codes.

Has it popped an SES light yet?

Tach jumping around by chance?

The opti is certainly suspect.

Could be the ICM too though.
the SES light is disabled with my tune.

tach at idle jumps around abit
and the ICM is brand new. not even a month old...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scan for codes
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds Identical to when I had a bad Opti, changed it out for an oem one from the partsladi and it ran perfect.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gregrob
Scan for codes
im going to try to get my hands on a scanner asap. i dont want to bring it to a mechanic simply because its running so shitty i dont wanna try to drive it to one :x

Originally Posted by airfix
Sounds Identical to when I had a bad Opti, changed it out for an oem one from the partsladi and it ran perfect.
it would take longer to start and run like absolute crap ? lol my dads 95 caprice had almost the same problem when his opti went. ill try getting a scanner and seeing what results that comes up with. ill also be testing the optis harness. shobox has a neat little walk through im going to follow hopefully later
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

I dont remeber if it took longer to start, but all the symptoms you stated above are the same.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by airfix
I dont remeber if it took longer to start, but all the symptoms you stated above are the same.
thanks for the feedback. im going to try to check it. its the only part on the engine thats not new haha
Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

sounds like maybe the rotor has come lose
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blk99ek
sounds like maybe the rotor has come lose
hmm ill take that into consideration. its an MSD cap and rotor set. the screws came with that little bit of red stuff on the tip. i thought that was lock tite of some form. it would make sense. i dont want to tear down everything to get to the opti and have it actually be the opti unit itself that is bad. i dont have much time to waste with my car completely down for awhile

Quick Reply: Could this be my Opti?