LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhh my eyes!
goodluck w/ it man, it def needs some work. PPM is a cool color tho, especially at night.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
What profession required a 4 door car and made you wealthy?

Sound like my job, only Im in the starving / poor part of it right now lol.
I am guessing we have the same job! I started as an agent, became a broker then the owner of a very productive company. I will sell more this year than any other year. What is that saying.... its better to be lucky then good?

I was feeling the lean times about a year ago, the ecomomy is looking up for sure. This year I will personally top out somewhere in the 30 million mark in sales.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking to get a roll cage.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-3131/?image=large
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Purple pearl metallic, the sexy color of the cars posted in this thread.
Oh... looks green to me. I was on the right track though because I was thinking pgc polo green camaro, but the P never fit.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Launching!

over the years i listened to a lot of "oh i kick myself in the ***" for selling or totaling that
rare car . its good you got your "first love back " that bikini model is HOT.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your stripping process looks exactly the same as my 93.

Originally Posted by mcalus
Please don't... I don't think you are going to be running quick enough once the car is done to be needing it. If you are you don't want a mild steel bar anyways.

My first car got totalled about 3 months after I bought it. Some woman ran a stop sign and I T boned her.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

That is why I could never sell anything of mine to a friend or someone close by! It would kill me to see it slowly torn up like that. I would have bought it back too, cant blame you for that. I wish I could find my old Nova again, I would buy it no matter how messed up it was.

Last edited by bowtie_racer; 10-18-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

Please don't... I don't think you are going to be running quick enough once the car is done to be needing it. If you are you don't want a mild steel bar anyways.
Yeah I got a lot of the ideas from your project thread. I think i posted in it a couple times too. Thanks for the ideas

Well I dont really want to spend the money on the roll cage either but I already have my interior out.

Whats wrong with mild steel bar? Just curious cause I am not very knowledgeable about roll bars....Thanks!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got some more done on it Friday night.

Back seat brackets out

Got the holes where the brackets were, filled in. (fiberglass bondo). Hopeufully prevent the water from entering or dust. Even though this wont be driven in the rain, you never know.

Removed the spare tire bracket and the antenna. Probably wont be listing to radio, more or less cd's if anything.

WHOOPS! Glad im repainting it!

All of the brackets I have removed

Took out the headliner, i am SOOOOOO sick of this falling down on me! When I owned the car I went out and bought headliner material, well I used all different types of spray glue, even 3M! Its sagging, yet again. I think I am gong to sew it up. (any suggestions?)

Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Yeah I got a lot of the ideas from your project thread. I think i posted in it a couple times too. Thanks for the ideas

Well I dont really want to spend the money on the roll cage either but I already have my interior out.

Whats wrong with mild steel bar? Just curious cause I am not very knowledgeable about roll bars....Thanks!
I actually thought your car was the same color as mine for a while, but then again I am color blind.

I would honestly think out your goals for the car. What do you want to do with it? Are you going to be taking it to the track a whole lot? Are you going to drive it around? Cruises? Street Race? I'd keep a cage / roll bar out of any car if you can avoid it. The 5/6 point harnesses are a nice added safety feature, but the bar itself isn't.

If you are going to do it I say do it right and add a moly cage to the car. A 6 point mild steel bar is about 35lbs heavier than a Moly 6 point. The weight only goes up from there as you add more bars to the car. It'll cost more, but be worth it in the long run.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking to make it a track car. I am looking to do cam only and maybe some porting of the heads and intake. I still want to take the car on the street every now and then but for the most part it is going to be straight up track car.

Decided to clean the carpet last night.

This is what I started with!

This is what it looked like when I was all done, i wish it came out better, this is powerwashing and pretreating it and scrubbing it. I might end up dying it. We will see. At least it doesn't smell like smoke and i know its clean.

I decided to rip off the sound dampening stuff

Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

If it is going to be a track car then weight reduction is your best friend. Especially with a comparatively underpowered engine in it. I wouldn't even consider putting a MS bar in the car.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

My first car got totalled about 3 months after I bought it. Some woman ran a stop sign and I T boned her.
Even if he does not run 11.99 or quicker its still nice to have it strengthens up the car in general. However that could be done with some SFC's also. Sucks about the stop sign runner grr!
I actually thought your car was the same color as mine for a while, but then again I am color blind.
lol, color blind folks like ourselves do not belong in this thread it seems.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Started to put some of the interior back together, Sorry about the CRAP photos, forgot my camera again!

Put the carpet in

Plastics were filthy! Dirty on is on the right.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

looks good man keep the pics coming
Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thats really cool you got your old car back. I love seeing threads like this, keep up the work. I wish I could get my old 93 Z28 back but, that won't happen because the dumbass that owned it last was driving drunk and totaled it. So now whats left of it sits in a salvage yard.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

My headliner has started to sag again also. Before I thought being in the sun would loosen the glue and cause it to sag but this time the car has been garaged every single day so I dont now. They're a pain in the ***.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talked to the boss man. Everything is good to go. So i didn't give him any time to change his mind

Ripped into it. Took off the front bumper, the plastic dampening stuff behind it. (i dont need this correct)?

Pulled off the intake

Took off the top radiator cover

Disconnected all coolant hoses

Removed trans lines

Removed a/c lines

Removed a/c condenser, radiator, trans cooler

Removed all electrical (injectors, maf, random sensors that idk what they go to)

Removed grounds

Removed exhaust (thank you cut off wheel and sawsall)

Removed belt

Removed air

Now for my questions, I dont need air and egr do I? I can just remove them like an ls1? All i will need is the race headers correct? What do I do with the connections since I wont be plugging anything back in?

I plan on removing the A/C, do I just need a smaller belt? Do you guys have a part number?

I am sure I forgot a few questions.

I believe all I have left is the gas lines, brake lines, strut tower bolts, random abs connections and I believe that is it.

Things I came across that I am going to need for sure:

-the plastic "frame" the headlights go in to, not sure what its called
-intake elbow

Didn't really hit any problems, the trans fluid was very dark and dirty!, coolant was very watered down, which i already knew, the pullys are pretty grovved and rusted.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Now for my questions, I dont need air and egr do I? I can just remove them like an ls1? All i will need is the race headers correct? What do I do with the connections since I wont be plugging anything back in?

I plan on removing the A/C, do I just need a smaller belt? Do you guys have a part number?
Love readding the rebuilds and stuff like this. Keep up the work and I cant wait to see the final on it. As far as the EGR and AIR, just make sure you plug the holes on the intake manifold where the EGR went, and the small hose. The AIR is easy, if you get headers w/o AIR setup, you are good. As for the connectors, ie the ones from the wireing harness that go to the pump, just pull the fuse for it and can cut it off, or tape it off just in case you dont want to remove it. You may throw a check engine light for the AIR system, so you may have to get that tuned out later, but its not gonna hurt anything. The A/C delete, you dont need a smaller belt, look around on the net, I saw a A/C delete pulley and bracket that replaces the pump so you can use standard belt size, and it covers that missing part. My 93 is sitting in the garage waiting on a new opti, once I get it back running again, I may go this way to make it a track car also. Again, good luck and I will be watching this thread to see what your outcome is.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

i used a block off plate for my egr when i took it out, air pump i just ripped out when i put my headers in

Quick Reply: I bought my old 93 Z28 back, now it needs some TLC