LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where's the leak coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the leak coming from?

I'm having some oil leak, after following it the last time I found out it's coming from behind the opti area, (kinda high on the engine), could that be the cam/opti opening rubber piece on the timing cover? Is that a common place for oil leak from that area? Just trying to get ideas before statring to take things off.
I just replaced the optispark on it and did not have oil leak before, I also took the timing cover off and inspected the cam and all that.

Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itaintoveryet
I'm having some oil leak, after following it the last time I found out it's coming from behind the opti area, (kinda high on the engine), could that be the cam/opti opening rubber piece on the timing cover? Is that a common place for oil leak from that area? Just trying to get ideas before statring to take things off.
I just replaced the optispark on it and did not have oil leak before, I also took the timing cover off and inspected the cam and all that.

Thanks guys
Most likely your WP seal or Opti seal in the timing cover. Do a seach and you will find tons of posts on this and how to replace em. BTW - The WP seal is a real bitch to get right so good luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Most likely your WP seal or Opti seal in the timing cover. Do a seach and you will find tons of posts on this and how to replace em. BTW - The WP seal is a real bitch to get right so good luck.
I got a back up cover with seals I think I'm just going to replace and get done with it , freaking bitch to do all that stuff all over again, I'm sick of it man ..
Thanks for the info bro
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itaintoveryet
I got a back up cover with seals I think I'm just going to replace and get done with it , freaking bitch to do all that stuff all over again, I'm sick of it man ..
Thanks for the info bro
No prob, but even when replacing the whole cover with new seals already installed make sure you get that WP seal right as there are 2 lips to the seal (one faces inwards to the wp gear and the other outwards to the WP itself) and you have to have them oriented correctly or it will leak. Trust me I know.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you see oil puddling up on the intake under your throttle body?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put the cover on with the water pump drive shaft seal out of the cover. Once it's on then you can slide the seal on and beat it in with a socket and hammer. Putting the cover on with the seal in place tears the seal and it will leak again, thus starting the dance over.

Quick Reply: Where's the leak coming from?