LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Swapping cars..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Swapping cars..

I've had the idea in my head for a while..

I'm looking into scrapping my current Camaro and swapping everything into(preferably) a clean, straight V6 Roller car, hopefully a cheap one with a blown Motor.

The reason behind this is cause my current one is basically beat to hell..and not all from me ****** it up. Some of it was "**** happens". Honestly for those that have seen the car, I will admit it's tore up, and I would rather invest into a clean straight body than fix/paint it..

That and I'm looking into a T-top car, I figure I can enjoy that and cruise around..

I'll give a run down cause I figure someone will ask..

My windshield is cracked all across..thanks to a rock, the 408 helped finish it off..
I have a nice big dent in the Rocker Panel under the passenger's Door..I hit a patch of sand in a parking lot, lost control and skidded into a metal pole. Damage done was the dent, took out the Door and busted the Fender, so that was what I had to replace and it doesn't match. They are red, but off of each other. That happened like 2 weeks after I bought it..I was being stupid..

A couple of years ago I was hit and run..a Lincoln took out my right rear Quarter Panel. Me and a friend replaced that, it's aligned perfect, it's just not the right color of red..so that whole side is off, that and it has a small dent in it..the one I got wasn't perfect. I honestly think that technically it's totalled at this point.
That impact also cracked the very outer edge of the lip on the Hatch when that happened. That can be glued though, so that is good.

The clear coat is starting to peel up in many spots, my driver's side Door is cracked for about 3" below the mirror..it was like that when I bought it.

That and I honestly think the frame is twisted from that Engine over time..some parts on the interior don't sit right like they used to.

Basically the car is beat to ****..it's been through hell. Yea it's got a bad-*** Engine in it, but all I honestly think of it as is the chassis that is holding that Engine and allowing me to drive it.

That's why I want to get another one and swap everything over..I know how to do what custom stuff I did so I'll be able to do it clean and it will look good.
My plan is to use all my current Wiring and Gauges, I'll go through what I have and clean it up along the way, make it really nice and stuff..and swap it all into the new car. The Engine will go right in on the K-member..just a drop and swap pretty much. If it's an Auto Car all I'll have to do is cut the hole for the Shifter. All Suspension will swap over without issue, as well as the rest of the Drivetrain, I'll be installing my 3.90 Gears. I'll have to cut and re-weld the Exhaust Hangers on the TD's, that will be easy though.

I want a T-top car, I'll keep the roll-up Windows and replace my driver's side one, it's starting to wear out. I'll put Sub-frames under it to re-enforce it, I don't plan on really tracking it though, I want a clean cruiser. I'll remove the AC cause I don't have that wired in, and it's nice with all that room under there. I'll keep the Battery up front, and even keep the back seats in.

Basically it's going to look factory stock, just with no AC or ABS. I have plenty of parts to work with so I see it being a pretty easy task, just a little time involved. What's left of my current body will be scrapped, unless someone really wants it to build a drag car, the new one will look nice and be really nice after it's done IMO..

So basically I'm in the market for a V6 Roller..
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a plan they go pretty cheap too
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like good plan. Are you going to stick w/ LT style body or LS?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

LT man..got to represent..

I'm looking for a 1993-1995 model..that and I'll be driving it without the side Z28 Badges..just to give you LS boys hope..

There is a few of them in the local craigslists..I see them being something that will be pretty much avaialble..I'm looking to spend like $1k on one. I was thinking Siver or Purple Pearl Metallic..both would look sharp.

Last edited by the_merv; 01-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

I'd do the bodywork and put a paint job on the one you got.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the work of switching things over, you think it might just make more sense to fix the dents and get it painted.

As for the t-top thing, you can just put them in, I've seen plenty of people do it.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Launching!

I got in an accident in my 96 ws6 and picked up a 95 body and I'm in the process of swapping everything over.

Its probably best to find the same year as your current car, as the body harness and engine harness will be the same so you'll just have to swap the engine wiring harness.

I'm swapping everything including the HVAC/DASH, full interior, engine/trans, possibly the rear end too.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

I plan on swapping out all of the wiring from my 1995..so what ever year I get it'll have 1995 wiring & Gauges in it.
Originally Posted by fergymoto
I'd do the bodywork and put a paint job on the one you got.
Originally Posted by Ironxcross
With all the work of switching things over, you think it might just make more sense to fix the dents and get it painted.

As for the t-top thing, you can just put them in, I've seen plenty of people do it.
I've gotten quotes of over $3500 to fix the damage..trust me I can get a cleaner $1k roller and make that $1k back in sellin extra parts and scrap. Pretty much with a little work I can get a free cleaner car.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
that and I'll be driving it without the side Z28 Badges..just to give you LS boys hope..
fight the power if ya need any help give me a ring and ding
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Sure..you want to come down from SD and give me a hand..that's a long drive..lol
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, someone has to put those LSX back in line where they belong
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Oh ya..
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Merv and Pillarpod back to back kicking some LS tail
Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

..motivated I see..
Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell yeah! we have about 19 inchs of snow on the ground up here and i want it to be spring already! hows making sand castles in Iraq ?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Find a nice roller. I see them around here between 400-1000 all the time.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

This sounds like a great plan. Shoot for the purple pearl metallic! Really, how often do you see one in that color? I think it might grab the eye even quicker than that quasar blue, there you go there is another badass color.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pillarpod
hell yeah! we have about 19 inchs of snow on the ground up here and i want it to be spring already! hows making sand castles in Iraq ?
HELLO Merv is an LS guy now LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by pillarpod
The Merv and Pillarpod back to back kicking some LS tail
Shouldn't you be pointing that smiley back to him since he has LSx motor.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

ouch. $3500 worth of body work? you must really have some fun in that car, for it to be that rough. it looks good in your sig and profile pics.. now I think you're using photoshop.. crafty bastard.

Quick Reply: Swapping cars..