LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hmm? Envalve eliminates excess blow by?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hmm? Envalve eliminates excess blow by?

Found this as I was searching the net and it makes sense to me how it works. Reason being I'm thinking about buying this is because I am like most LT1's and am very tired of that little bit of blow by entering the intake manifold and coating it all in oil. I've done compression checks and everything checks out and I'm not down on power but I'm just tired of the mess. I've also tried breathers but them I just end up with oil on the valvecover itself. So anyway what do you guys think? It costs $40 which is alot for a pcv valve but if it works then good. The lady said her husband has been selling these since 89 and have never had one returned. Also she didn't know much because her husband has passed away and she just pretty much sells them now. She knows a little but not a pro by any means. She said she has one on her 2003 Cadillac so seems like it would work for us.

http://www.envalve.com/difference.html
http://www.misterfixit.com/envalve.htm
http://www.misterfixit.com/blow-by.htm
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv valve

I run a crankcase evacuation on my camaro but its not daily driven,the oil always looks like new. It sounds good but you need to try for yourself. Try it out and let us know how it works.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just run an oil catch can?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a catch can from jegs...its small but it stops all the oil from getting into the intake.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Are you guys using a catch can on the CCV or the PCV line?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
Are you guys using a catch can on the CCV or the PCV line?
PCV supply hose (passenger side valve cover).
Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

passenger valve cover
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so you guys put it inline with the CCV hose because the PCV is on the driver's side.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this thread.

I have the oily intake too. My contamination is definitely NOT coming through the hose connecting the TB to the passenger side valve cover. I have the filter plugged into the valve cover which as prevented the oil from getting into this line. The rubber hose is clean and there is no oil in the top of the TB when you pull the top cover.

I can see evidence of it in the metal line comnnecting the PCV to the front of the intake. I am nearly convinced this is how my intake is getting dirty. I think that once the oil enters the front vaccum port on the intake, it is dispersed through the eight small idle holes in each intake runner.

I am ready to install a catch can between the PCV and the intake to resolve the problem or maybe consider this Envalve.

Did anyone try this Envalve yet?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

also interested
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

From the 1st website:

When blowby is present in the crankcase, a lot of bad things happen...blowby is a mixture of unburned fuel, water, carbon, soot, and acids. Blowby dirties the splashing oil and dirty oil causes engine wear. For every gallon of gas that the engine burns, one gallon of water is produced. Most is expelled via the exhaust, but some enters the crank case with the blowby through leaking piston rings. Water in the oil causes sludge. Acids cause a coating of varnish to coat all internal parts, clogging oil channels and harming metal parts. Unburned fuel causes oil dilution and loss of lubrication. While carbon and soot help turn the oil into liquid sandpaper compounding engine wear.
All true, also normal and unavoidable in any engine. The next part is where it gets interesting.

The En-Valve, through its design, is able to remove much more blowby.
Bullshit. Removal of blowby is a function of engine vacuum. You can restrict it with a PCV system. If it's restricted by the PCV, you can open it up so that full engine vacuum is pulling on the crankcase. You can't increase it without an external vacuum pump.
It produces a preset vacuum in the crankcase. Blowby does not exist in a vacuum.
Bullshit. Blowby is there regardless of vacuum, and is unaffected by it. If this thing is "producing a preset vacuum", then it's a flow restrictor, which means that all of the combustion by products are staying in contact with your oil longer. Oil life will drop.

The oil and engine stay cleaner and engine wear is greatly reduced. Oil changes are prolonged.
Bullshit...see above.

A fool and his money are soon parted. The only way to eliminate all blowby is to create a miracle called a perfect seal. Got news for ya, not gonna happen.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it sounds like a flow restrictor.

My old 94 Jeep Wrangler 6cyl. did not have a PCV. It had a CCV which was a plastic fitting, inplace of the PCV in the valve cover, that had a simple ~.050" or so hole that sucked air out of the crankcase.

After more research, the catch can sounds better.

Quick Reply: Hmm? Envalve eliminates excess blow by?