LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 MSD BILLET HELP..do I need to take apart?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 MSD BILLET HELP..do I need to take apart?

I bought a brand new MSD billet Disto...

I just built a new 383 with LE2 Heads and LE smog cam Big moith ported manifold, 58mm BBK TB, LT's, CSR EWP.. all the good stuff.. Than I decided to buy a new MSD Billet, bought it from ebay, got a good price... Some where along the lines, I lodt the instructions.. I assumed it was like other opti's aligh dowel and go... Well motor is in, all buttoned up and tried to turn it over and nothing.. I have fuel pressure, and all the wires are good, I even have a MSD coil..I checked and doubled check everything.. I could smell gas, so I knew I was getting fuel.. but no bang... I would EVERY once in a while get a back fire, type hiccup, but no fire... I took one of the spark plugs out and put a plug in it to see If I was getting a spark and nothing... I than did a search and someone said you need to disassymble the MSD and set the cap??? Is this true?? I dont mind taking it apart, but does anyone have any experiance??

Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "mods" that I know of are:
Take the rotor off. Replace the rotor screws with a socket head hex machine screw. Cut them to the longest length possible so they are longer than the screws that come with the opti (on the rotor) but not too long to bottom out. Use a flat washer and red Loctite and torque them down as much as possible (using an allen wrench, you can only get so much torque on it)
Also, use a bit of silicon gasket maker to stick the o-ring (dist. cap seal) to the opti's body. Then you don't have to fuss with getting it on there and lined up with the opti on the car.
I'd check your wiring...maybe you just forgot to hook up a harness or something. Even the best of us forget those every once in awhile.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Thanks for your info.. I have the billet MSD set up.. Its a complete kit..Im not rebuilding an old GM opti with a MSD cap and rotor..Is that what you mean?? or are you talking about the MSD Billet needs to have its screws cut?? I paid 450 bucks and man... this is a pain Thanks for your help though I did check all the cabling.. Checked the grounds...everything.. Im dying.. I want to hear this beast

Originally Posted by qc97z
The "mods" that I know of are:
Take the rotor off. Replace the rotor screws with a socket head hex machine screw. Cut them to the longest length possible so they are longer than the screws that come with the opti (on the rotor) but not too long to bottom out. Use a flat washer and red Loctite and torque them down as much as possible (using an allen wrench, you can only get so much torque on it)
Also, use a bit of silicon gasket maker to stick the o-ring (dist. cap seal) to the opti's body. Then you don't have to fuss with getting it on there and lined up with the opti on the car.
I'd check your wiring...maybe you just forgot to hook up a harness or something. Even the best of us forget those every once in awhile.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you dont have the opti line up with the right slot on the dowel pin. there are three locations that it could be in 1 of these three has a small mark/slot to line up the opti to
Old 02-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Is that why you have to take off the cover of the Billet MSD opti?? I lined up the dowel of the cam to the back of the opti..and popped it in like I have done a couple of other times with my other LT1's

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
sounds like you dont have the opti line up with the right slot on the dowel pin. there are three locations that it could be in 1 of these three has a small mark/slot to line up the opti to
Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the screws that hold the rotor back out/become loose and the rotor wiggles around and/or falls off. It's reported on the boards that the distributors are sometimes received straight from the factory with the rotor already loose.
Double and triple check your plug wires are going the right way, then check the opti orientation and pop off the cover and locktite the screw/ silicone the case like previously mentioned.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the MSD opti is just like the OEM opti in that you "set it and forget it" you don't even have to mess with the timing screw. if it wasn't making noise when you removed it from the box then it's probably not a loose rotor unless, God forbid, they forgot to include a rotor and or the optical pickup. there was no such drama with mine so check the easier to see stuff like the coil to opti wire, coil/icm connections ect.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help... Im thinking I am having a spart issue.. either with the coil/icm or MSD Opti.. Im going to do some more trouble shooting next weekend..
Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it "sounds" like the dowel pin is not in the right hole.

The MSD opti comes complete but it is HIGHLY recommended you remove the rotor screws and apply red lock tite. The instructions with it say to remove the cap so you can confirm rotor is pointing right way ASSUMEING YOU PULLED THE CAP OF EXISTING OPTI TO CONFIRM ROTOR POSITION. Since this opti is on a new motor that "check" would not apply.

The fact that it back fired, to me, suggests the pin is not in the right hole

.....so if you are going to pull the opti bring the motor to #1 TDC and pull the cap...if rotor is not pointing to about the "1 oclock position"....the dowel pin is in the wrong hole....if it is your problem lies elsewhere
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have the wires in the correct spot on the opti
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Launching!

yeah, I double checked the spark plug wires.. and than triple checked.. I will post what it was once I figure it out..I will be honest if it was stupid LOL..

Im leaning on the ICM/Coil..just a feeling..
Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Your ignition module is the faulty one. I just replaced mine in december after it left me stranded in Georgia. Just when you replace it be careful since there is alot of fuel in the cylynders its gonna sound like a cannon out the exhaust. Mine almost cracked the windows on the shop. It took a lil while to start but it started. Also check your Optispark harness shake it some while somebody cranks it. Well good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WARDOG
Your ignition module is the faulty one. I just replaced mine in december after it left me stranded in Georgia. Just when you replace it be careful since there is alot of fuel in the cylynders its gonna sound like a cannon out the exhaust. Mine almost cracked the windows on the shop. It took a lil while to start but it started. Also check your Optispark harness shake it some while somebody cranks it. Well good luck
Yeah, Im thinking its the Iginition module.. I have a spare.. Im going to swap it out... Thanks for the info, this is helpful. I found out today the MSD is a plug in a forget, you dodnt have to do any special setting.. So Its most likely a Module / coil thing.. The harness from the MSD is new(comes with the MSD)

Kevin
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
it "sounds" like the dowel pin is not in the right hole.
I agree, that hiccuping makes me believe that.

Just remember when youre putting it in..."circular pin, square hole." I love you GM...

Quick Reply: LT1 MSD BILLET HELP..do I need to take apart?