LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tune needed for converter swap?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune needed for converter swap?

1993 Z28(speed density), im putting in a yank SS3600, a non electronic transmission for this year, do i need a tune? sorry its a re post but nobody in the tunnng section would help or knew the answer.Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't think so because the ecm has no ties to the trans. Not sure about that though
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

my thoughts exactly,thanks for the opinion at least someone is trying to help me out finally
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by horcpowr
1993 Z28(speed density), im putting in a yank SS3600, a non electronic transmission for this year, do i need a tune? sorry its a re post but nobody in the tunnng section would help or knew the answer.Thanks
A bolt-on tune was my first mod and you should get it regardless, although not needed. I used Alvin at pcmforless. Also make sure you use a good tranny cooler with the Yank.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dad thru a converter on his gt and didn't need a retune.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

yes i am installing a good sized trans cooler when i do this, i just dont want my car running/driving like ***, so even though i will get a tune later on it is not needed at this point just for the torque converter right?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

If I were you I'd do the shift kit when you stall it.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

This will be the third year I will be running an edge 3400 stall converter in my 93 z28. It has a big transmission cooler from B and M and does not bypass the stock cooler in the radiator, so it uses both of them. If you transmission has alot of miles, do not put a shift kit in it, increased pressure in the transmission and firmer shifts only deteriorates the clutches faster...my brother tried to tell me it was the right thing to do, and the transmission stopped shifting into 2 and 4 right shortly after putting it in.
Just make sure you adjust your t.v. cable when you put it in, it might need to be re calibrated due to the slippage caused by the converter can throw the shift points off. I think 1st should shift at 15, 2nd at 35, and 3-4 at 45...someone please chime in if those are the wrong mph at which the transmission is supposed to shift at under normal throttle. The tv cable adjusts the line pressure in the transmission and is located on the throttle body. It is only available on the 93 camaros, 94 has the 4l60e. Also, do not break the tv cable when you are taking the tranmission out, it is very hard to replace as they are discontinued from gm.

Anything else just send a pm.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up on that, the trans already had a stout shift kit in it when i bought the car last year, dont know what kind it is though, and the car has 127k, motor and trans are questionable i see new gaskets on oil pan ect. but that doesnt mean anything.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot928
This will be the third year I will be running an edge 3400 stall converter in my 93 z28. It has a big transmission cooler from B and M and does not bypass the stock cooler in the radiator, so it uses both of them. If you transmission has alot of miles, do not put a shift kit in it, increased pressure in the transmission and firmer shifts only deteriorates the clutches faster...my brother tried to tell me it was the right thing to do, and the transmission stopped shifting into 2 and 4 right shortly after putting it in.
Just make sure you adjust your t.v. cable when you put it in, it might need to be re calibrated due to the slippage caused by the converter can throw the shift points off. I think 1st should shift at 15, 2nd at 35, and 3-4 at 45...someone please chime in if those are the wrong mph at which the transmission is supposed to shift at under normal throttle. The tv cable adjusts the line pressure in the transmission and is located on the throttle body. It is only available on the 93 camaros, 94 has the 4l60e. Also, do not break the tv cable when you are taking the tranmission out, it is very hard to replace as they are discontinued from gm.

Anything else just send a pm.
I'm not sure what your individual application might have been, but firmer shifts are what you want. Maybe your clutches were already on the way out, or your TV cable wasn't adjusted correctly (or was already messed up when you bought the car) and line pressure was too low to engage the clutches fully, due to potential previous damage to the clutches already you may have just accelerated it going out when the shift kit was installed and it started to hit harder. The 2 things that kill transmissions are heat and slippage, once the clutches are glazed, it's a done deal.

The shift points are controlled by the governor, mine factory shifted into 4th at about 35. I rebuilt the governor and now it goes into 4th at 50. You don't want it to shift too low or the motor will lug and bog down.

OP, if you want to make a sound decision now and save grief later, I'd check out Probuilt Automatics for a relatively inexpensive full rebuild kit. I say this because if you bought the car with a shift kit in it already, someone was running it harder than usual and you don't know the history of the trans.

Probuilt Automatics
http://www.700r4l60e.com/
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes a high stall will cause stock programming to surge because the pcm is not seeing the load at idle/coast it expects. Annoyance at worst, can wait to retune till you have other stuff needing attention.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Yea my car shifts into overdrive at 45mph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tune needed for converter swap?