LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to Dynotune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Dynotune?

So I'm moving later this spring from MA down to TX, with a stop-over in VA/NC.

I have a PCMforLess mail order tune that runs ok, but I want a dynotune. Apparently there aren't any LT1 dyno tuners in the greater Boston area, are there any decent ones in Northern VA, Raleigh NC, or Dallas TX?
I'll have my car on a trailer and could take it anywhere in those areas, close by, or in between...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed Inc in shaumberg, Illinois does awesome work from what I've heard...Im heading there this spring with my buddy to do dyno tuning on his '00 SS. They're a sponsor on here and I know AChotrod has had sum work done there, hopefully he'll chime in...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

There are a few in Ral, NC, but why not goto PCMForless in Mooresville NC, its near Charlotte, NC, it is not far from Raliegh 2-3hrs or so, and they already have a starting point on file from your old tune and many folks are very happy with them? Tick performance and them share a building there.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There is Carolina Auto Masters in Durham, NC (DynoJet). They have mixed reviews from folks here and elsewhere. I had mine done there and am pretty happy. There is also a facility about 25 min. south of Raleigh called Steve Ashworth Performance. Steve did my heads and intake and told me he has an Eddy Current dyno and to give him a shot at it if I wasn't happy with CAM. There is also RPM (also DynoJet) in Garner.

Gotta agree with the PCMforLess option as well. They might knock off the mail order cost and 'upgrade' you to a dyno tune for less than a standalone tune. CAM does that, they might do it, too.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

One in Glen Burnie, MD called F-body central. They tuned my car.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Dyno Tuners for lsx cars in north texas: Boost Performance in Amarillo, Texas
or Texas Speed in Lubock, Texas
Old 02-23-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

I'd be interested in the one in Glen Burnie MD, or Garner NC. They would be pretty close to where I'll be. I'll also have to check with PCMforLess, I didn't realize they did dynotuning.
Do the TX shops do LT1 tuning?

How much difference is there between different dyno-tuners? I haven't had it done before, so I am unfamiliar with the process. I know they basically will have their laptop plugged into the system while running it on the dyno; but isn't there a range of norms that they are attempting to dial the various timing and fuel maps in for? I would think it would be pretty universal, and cost would be the major differentiator between shops. Help me out here...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of these guys use a Tech-II Scanner. An ALDL cable is hooked to your OBD-I 12 pin or OBD-II 16 pin port and the scanner is usually in turn hooked to a PC. There are various flavors of software that work with a Tech-II for viewing the tables programmed into your PCM. They accomplish the same thing; reading and rewriting portions of the program. The choice of software is whatever the tuner likes best for viewing, editing and saving.

The dyno is indispensable for testing physical results of virtual adjustments. Eddy current dynos (sometimes referred to as "Mustang dynos") set resistance against the wheels and offer better part-throttle tuning. DynoJet dynos will generally read higher numbers in terms of HP because they're not applying 'real world' forces through the rollers. I say this because if you end up getting tuned on an eddy current dyno and you only see 320RWHP you can figure that to be about 345 on a DynoJet.

I have some friends that recommend RPM in Garner highly though I've not been there myself. They're about 10-12 minutes away from me. I went to Jeff in Durham at the recommendation of a friend who knows him and has built engines since he and I were 14-15.

http://rpmmotorsportsnc.com/
Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a little art to it, especially transitioning between blocks, addressing the RPM tables right so you don't have a hanging high idle until you get below 2MPH, little things like that. If you want a pretty good idea of what's in there to tweaked, have a look at Solomon's write-up:

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/

This covers the DIY approach but the same things will be addressed by the tuner (their experience is worth the cost).

Hit me up when you're in the area and I'll buy you a cheeseburger!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mustangs aren't the only load dynos...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
Mustangs aren't the only load dynos...
Right, "Mustang dyno" is just one common bit of slang for an eddy current dyno... familiar use term in the community.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard of several in Dallas, go to the TX section and ask. You will get an answer
Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaltech Tuning on LI can get ya squared away.. It's not too far from boston either...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toy96ta
So I'm moving later this spring from MA down to TX, with a stop-over in VA/NC.

I have a PCMforLess mail order tune that runs ok, but I want a dynotune. Apparently there aren't any LT1 dyno tuners in the greater Boston area, are there any decent ones in Northern VA, Raleigh NC, or Dallas TX?
I'll have my car on a trailer and could take it anywhere in those areas, close by, or in between...
Live in the Dallas area and trailered my 396 LT1 to Killeen, Tx (2/1/2 hrs) for a dyno tune last weekend. The tuner is Moe Bailey out of San Antonio.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Teching In

If you come to Amarillo, TX Dream Chasers has the best dyno here in town. Boost Performance also has a dyno.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
RJE
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely recommend Alivin Anderson of PCMFORLESS in Mooresville NC. He tuned my LT and I picked up a tenth and 2 mph in the heat, and ended up going as fast as a 6.55 @ 101 mph in the 1/8 in the cooler air. I have since went to a carbed SBC, but plan on going back to EFI when my money gets right and Alvin will be the one I go to.

Randy
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by toy96ta
I'd be interested in the one in Glen Burnie MD,
F-body Central has all but closed their doors. The shop is no longer and the dyno is gone. I believe the owner is doing a lot of work out of his house. Not sure if they have the means to a dyno or not. There is also another shop in Glen Burnie called PSI (Performance Specialties Inc). The owner's name is Jeff. He uses a Mustang dyno and has tuned a few of my combos. I've always been happy w/ his work.
http://www.kudzu.com/m/Performance-S...rated-14165024

As far as TX goes you may want to do a bit of research on www.dfwstangs.net. I think there's a shop in Keller, TX that's had good reviews.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Killeen doesn't look too far (I'm actually going to be in San Angelo).

I think I want to wait until I get to TX to get my dynotune in case I have any issues or need tweaks.
Once I get down there and get settled I'll start figuring out who I should go to.

I also have to figure out what's causing my car to run rough. I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't just the rich tune that's causing it. I have new O2s to install, but I want to wait until I adjust the tune and or fix any other problems to put them in...
Hopefully whatever dynoshop I pick will be able to help me troubleshoot my issues for reasonable compensation.

Quick Reply: Where to Dynotune?