LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help: K member won't lower!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help: K member won't lower!

I'm doing my head swap and am changing my oil pan. The heads and intake are off, the motor is jacked up as far as it will go and I have loosened the 6 k member bolts.
The k member won't drop though. It seems like there is something else keeping it from lowering. After about 1 revolution of the k member bolts they are loose. What gives?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sworaz
I'm doing my head swap and am changing my oil pan. The heads and intake are off, the motor is jacked up as far as it will go and I have loosened the 6 k member bolts.
The k member won't drop though. It seems like there is something else keeping it from lowering. After about 1 revolution of the k member bolts they are loose. What gives?
Try loosening the 4 strut bolts. You'll have to undo the mastercylinder 2 nuts and pull it off to get to the one bolt below it. Those should give you enough play to drop it some.

Hope this Helps.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully you've removed more than just those 6 bolts! The four strut tower bolts on each side also need to come out, along with the transmission cross-member.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the heads and the intake off. the motor will lift high enough to drop the pan. i pulled just my intake and could drop the pan after pulling off the oil psi sender. if not. pop the strut bolts off. and the sway bar.

unless you left the motor mounted to the k-member you wont need to drop the tranny cross memeber. i personally would leave it. its something else helping you hold up the driveline.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Hopefully you've removed more than just those 6 bolts! The four strut tower bolts on each side also need to come out, along with the transmission cross-member.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Yeah did all that and it hasn't budged, not even an inch.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
if you have the heads and the intake off. the motor will lift high enough to drop the pan.
If that were true the pan would be off already. It is still an inch and a half (approximate) from clearing.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, took a break and tried it again. I managed to get the motor and trans up a little bit higher and it cleared.

I think I broke the sensor that was in the side of the pan though.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

thats not a big problem i think its just the low oil pressure sensor
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i threw in there to pull the oil psi sensor off so you didnt have that problem. but im wondering why if you have the intake off it didnt lift high enough... hrm mine did and i didnt touch the kmember but thats good to hear
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by old93camaro
thats not a big problem i think its just the low oil pressure sensor
NOPE. Whats in the side of the oil pan is the oil level sensor. The oil pressure sensor is up behind the intake manifold.

GM part number 12603782

Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

brake lines...sway bar...struts...battery cables...all sorts of stuff that connects to the k member...ps lines...abs sensors...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
brake lines...sway bar...struts...battery cables...all sorts of stuff that connects to the k member...ps lines...abs sensors...
Oh really..? I thought it was just the lca's.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
if you have the heads and the intake off. the motor will lift high enough to drop the pan. i pulled just my intake and could drop the pan after pulling off the oil psi sender. if not. pop the strut bolts off. and the sway bar.

unless you left the motor mounted to the k-member you wont need to drop the tranny cross memeber. i personally would leave it. its something else helping you hold up the driveline.
my oil pan gasket was changed 2 summers ago in jpacks garage and only the valve covers and intake manifold were off (because those gaskets were being changed too)
Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
my oil pan gasket was changed 2 summers ago in jpacks garage and only the valve covers and intake manifold were off (because those gaskets were being changed too)
Yeah that actually worked for me too. After working at it for a little bit longer I was able to get it out w/out needing the k member lowered.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sworaz
Yeah that actually worked for me too. After working at it for a little bit longer I was able to get it out w/out needing the k member lowered.
good to hear you got her out. and even better you didnt have to lower the kmember. just had to fight with mine a little bit to get her out to clear aroudn the crank and all.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Cool nice to hear you got it done
Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

man, after reading this thread, i should have taken photos and documented my oil pan swap. did it with motor in the car, everything on the top of the engine still fully assembled. headers still in place, did NOT loosen any bolts in the Kmember. pulled only 1 motor mount bolt out and loosened the other. HOW you ask? was actully really easy. did the full swap in roughly 3-4 hours. pulled the T56 (which i have done 900 times now so its really easy), pulled the bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and starter. i then used 3 exhaust stands. put one under each header collector and raised them to the floor pans. loosened my motor mount bolts and removed the one that was easiest to get to. then put one more exhaust stand up under the balancer and slowly raised it up until the front of the pan cleared the K member and front Main caps enough to be pulled out toward the rear of the car. oh, also had to slowly rotate the crank so that it was in such a position that the front weights and rod journals were up inside the block to give me maximum clearance. did that before raising the front up. and the low oil level sensors i believe can be replaced at oreilly's for under 20 dollars. good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Need help: K member won't lower!