LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad tune help or injector ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad tune help or injector ?

im just trying to think, im about to take motor apart but i was wondering what the possiability of a bad tune running to rich. how can i tell if it was way to rich or ir a injector is dumpping raw fuel and destroyed my bearings? im using ford svo30lbs just curious i dont want the same thing to happen with a new shortblock. even though i did cam and heads i had good oil pressure and a healthy motor before it died. changed the oil and drained yhe block of coolant before i took off heads just dumbfounded.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Was the car tuned for the injectors? If not it would be running very rich
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

yes, how can i tell iff it was pouring raw fuel? just plugs fouled and oil? i had less than a hour on it before it let go and never once reved past 5rpm.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah check the plugs see if they smell like gas. The bearings might have already been going out. How many miles were on it?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

80k im gonna check the plugs the oil looks like 2quarts over extremely black and filled with metal i was told the ford svo injectors close when they go bad and not stay stuck open like gm?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

also if i take off fuel rail and turn key on the injector should leak fuel constant if stuck right, if there fine then i can assume the tun would of been way off since i had no check engine ligt or codes.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the motor knock at all? Being 2 quarts over can cause some serious damage and lack of HP.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

i didt overfill it it has to be raw gas the oil is dark black and smells like gas. i changed the oil after the start up before i drove it. i had good oil pressure 40 warmed up i was crussing on the highway and boom. completely died locked up, no knocks pings or noises. just turned off and that was it. had it towed home and took of the ac filter filled with metal. i had uinder a hour on it after the head and cam change. so im tending to think a ford svo injector stuck or the tune was overkill thats what im trying to determine before i rip the motor back out again.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you say you DID or DIDN'T overfill it? (typo on your behalf)

Too much gas in the cylinders will wash down the cylinder walls, removing the oil, and cause scoring of the cylinder walls.

Have you taken anything apart yet? Perhaps you snapped the timing chain.

If you suspect the tune is the issue, you can investigate. If you have a laptop and some free software, download the tune from the PCM and have a tuner look at it to make sure it jives.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

i did not overfill it, i have not taken anything apart yet just tried to crank the engine by starter and hand nothing moving. it defenatly bearing material on the dipstick and in filter brand new gm timming chain im gonna take apart in a few days just dumbfounded i hope the new heads are ok. i dont have software or know anyone im saving and selling stuff so i can fix the bottom end i dont want the same thing to happen on another engine
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

i had a very repabale person do my tune im not gonna say names. but i dont want to question anyone until i figure out what happened.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

i have engine out every plug is extremely fouled out. all injectors checked out good. im pissed that a bad mail order tune blew it up in less than a hour.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6801
i have engine out every plug is extremely fouled out. all injectors checked out good. im pissed that a bad mail order tune blew it up in less than a hour.
How did you determine the tune caused it?

Show pictures on here of the cylinder walls.

Amazing how you went from not wanting to blame the tuner to certain the tune is at fault. What am I missing?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
How did you determine the tune caused it?

Show pictures on here of the cylinder walls.

Amazing how you went from not wanting to blame the tuner to certain the tune is at fault. What am I missing?
Yeah what machine work was done to the block if any and what bearing where used? If its just a high mileage motor the bearings might have already been going bad
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

in one hour you would never get a half a gal of gas past the pistons and if it was running that rich it would have run like **** and you should have known better than to take it on the high way and with half a gal to much in oil pan you probaly trashed the block by cracking a piston
Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

stock shortblock it had no problemes at all oil pressure was good and ran fine before i changed the injectors and tune. why else would the oil have so much gas in it, plugs are all fouled out exhaust ports on heads look worse than the plugs. what should i take pics of and what else should i check. it was a very strong runner maybe im comming off the wrong way. i dont want it to happen on a brand new shortblock. i was told to use same tune on new engine, im not pointing names i just cant see any other reseanon this happened exspecialy since i diidt beat on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

i ment to say mail ordertune could of wiped out bearings sorry.it ran like crap and wouldt move out of its ownway. i have engine apart all cylinders have crosshatches in them all the main and rod bearings are pretty much trashed. all of the pistons and rods are intact nothing is broke.all im asking for is advice im not trying to makle false aqusitions.
if i had a bearing problem prior i would of had some sort of oil pressure problem fluction in the guage or low oil pressure. i had good oil pressure with no problemes no knocks taps or pings.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

most mail order tunes come with a 1 year retune maybe send it back in and see if there is anything fucked in the tune every one ***** up some time and if it is the case of a bad tune you still cant put the blame of your engine on them because as soon as you started it you should have known to turn it off and fix the problem, no disrespect just telling it like it is as far as it not happening again the only way fuel gets in your engine is your injectors and if them are fine than you tune would most likely be to blame but man that thing must of ran like ****!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: bad tune help or injector ?