LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

speedometer off

Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer off

My buddy bought a 95 z28 m6 with 4:10 gears in it and the speedometer is off by about 15 mph . I told him to buy a hypertech programmer and that would fix it,but he dosent want to spend $400 on it . Is there a cheaper way? or what other options does he have.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem in my 5.0 when it had 3.73s in it. My tranny had a speedo gear that connected right into the side of the tranny on the drivers side, it was held on by a 10mm bolt and had a wire going up through the firewall. They sold different gears for different rear end gear applications on Jegs and whatnot, but you have to know how many teeth you need.

And Im not even sure if his tranny is set up the same way...but check it out and see, because the new gears are like 10 bucks. I just searched them on Jegs.com. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
I had the same problem in my 5.0 when it had 3.73s in it. My tranny had a speedo gear that connected right into the side of the tranny on the drivers side, it was held on by a 10mm bolt and had a wire going up through the firewall. They sold different gears for different rear end gear applications on Jegs and whatnot, but you have to know how many teeth you need.

And Im not even sure if his tranny is set up the same way...but check it out and see, because the new gears are like 10 bucks. I just searched them on Jegs.com. Good luck and I hope this helps.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said there.

But to the OP, The hp tuner, getting a mail order tune, or a dynotune will take care of that. I'm pretty sure there is no other way. He has to tell the computer electronically that there is 4.10s in the rear for the tach and MPH gauge to recongnize. Either way its going to cost a few bucks. But really, he shouldn't of bought the car if he can't afford that just my worth less than most .02 cents.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I have absolutely no idea what you just said there.
Might be just a Mustang thing. I thought maybe the Tremec trannys had speedo gears too. But I could be wrong. Just trying to help the OP. I guess hes gonna have to buy the tuner. That sucks...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have also been looking for an answer to this question for a while now. I have heard about the speedo gears but I'm 99% positive the T-56's don't have them. My tuner also told me that he couldn't re-calibrate my speedo through tune. I'm pretty sure Dakota digital makes a speedo recalib. device that will work.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DAK-SGI-5/

It seems to be the only way. I can't find a decent write up on how to install one of these tho..

Last edited by collier341; 03-22-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: link added
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Teching In

I am sure that T56s dont have the gear on the side of the tranny like the T5s do in mustangs ,that is a mustang thang.Collier341 if that dakota digital thing works that would defently be the cheapest way to solve my buddys problem that i have found. Is there anyone out there that has used this and how did it work.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk where you are from but try to find a lsx performance shop in your area, they should offer a $150 tune that would take care of your speedo.

For instance speed inc does this:
http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm.../%20Electrical
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Might be just a Mustang thing. I thought maybe the Tremec trannys had speedo gears too. But I could be wrong. Just trying to help the OP. I guess hes gonna have to buy the tuner. That sucks...
Third gen camaros/firebirds were the same way, but switched to it being all electronic sometime around '91.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found this for some speed density (1993) automatic guys....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...libration.html

Not much help to you but someone may find this usefull...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speedometer off