LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crazy oil pressure problem. Rises, drops then rises at WOT. WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Crazy oil pressure problem. Rises, drops then rises at WOT. WTF???

Guys I have got a really friggin weird oil pressure problem.

Some background information.
Melling 10554 standard volume pump w/ white spring
Stock pan and windage tray

Two weeks ago the oil pickup fell off of the pump. It is possible that I had nearly 200 miles and 6 dyno pulls with the pickup off. The pickup was replaced and the engine believe it or no seems fine. I only noted the pressure falling when braking which lit the dash light. Never saw an ill effect accelerating or cruising but I think its safe to say that I might not have seen the idiot light occasionally coming on to indicate split second no oil pressure.

Cold idle oil pressure is 60#.
Cold rev makes 80#.
Hot idle oil pressure is 20#.
Cruising at 2K RPM is 30#.
Cruising at 4K RPM is 50#.

Here is where it all goes to Hell.
When at WOT, pressure climbs and is consistent with having 10# per thousand RPM until around 5K RPM.

When you hit 5.5K, the pressure drops instantly to around 30# then shoots back up to around 60# at around 6K RPM in the blink of an eye. I can slowly accelerate and the same thing happens.

I have tested with 1 quart oil under filled, oil level full and 1/2 quart overfilled. The problem remains. I have replaced the filter, problem remains. I have not yet tried thicker oil but I have noticed the pressure drop still occurs with cold oil and a WOT blast.

The oil pump pickup is between 3/8" and 1/2" from the oil pan floor. The relief valve is not seized up. At a glance, the pump showed nothing unusual but I did not look very close at it. Also I can not say for certain that the oil pressure drop issue was occurring prior to the pickup falling off. I do find it difficult to believe that I would never have noticed the gauge behavior when blasting on it for nearly two years.

I am confident in the following:
The pickup height is not out of spec
The pickup is still attached because I welded the Hell out of it

I called Melling and they had nothing to contribute other than to say they have never heard of this problem. I don't think its bearing clearance related because if it was, I would have lower oil pressures across the board. Also when I recently drained the oil to replace the pickup, the oil was very clean with no signs of bearing fragment or other junk. I asked the folks at Melling to blame either the pump or the motor. They blamed the pump. Could it have gotten damaged as a result of the pickup being off?

Can someone provide some insight into this problem. I really want this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.
Bill

Last edited by wrd1972; 07-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see what is said on this one thats for sure. I know two people that this is happening to, but when oil pressure starts dropping they stop holding the peddle down.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try a mechanical gauge, maybe it's a glitch in the electric one in the car.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say thats the guage, try replacing the guage or throwing in a mechanical one.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Forgot to mention that I have a mechanical gauge hooked up. The day I saw this problem, I right then tee'd it in along with the OEM sending unit. I can loop it back and under the windshield wiper and watch it as I drive. Also replaced the OEM sending unit too.

The new sending unit very closely matches what the mechanical gauge reads. The older one clearly read higher by about 5# across the board.

This is not a faulty reading. It is real and badly pissing me off.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's usually either windage or cavitation.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car has always done it. I wish I could take care of it, but I don't know what it is. No problems yet.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Guys I have got a really friggin weird oil pressure problem.

Some background information.
Melling 10554 standard volume pump w/ white spring
Stock pan and windage tray

Two weeks ago the oil pickup fell off of the pump. It is possible that I had nearly 200 miles and 6 dyno pulls with the pickup off. The pickup was replaced and the engine believe it or no seems fine. I only noted the pressure falling when braking which lit the dash light. Never saw an ill effect accelerating or cruising but I think its safe to say that I might not have seen the idiot light occasionally coming on to indicate split second no oil pressure.

Cold idle oil pressure is 60#.
Cold rev makes 70#.
Hot idle oil pressure is 20#.
Cruising at 2K RPM is 30#.
Cruising at 4K RPM is 50K#.

Here is where it all goes to Hell.
When at WOT, pressure climbs and is consistent with having 10# per thousand RPM until around 5K RPM.

When you hit 5K, the pressure drops instantly to around 30# then shoots back up to around 60# at around 6K RPM. I can slowly accelerate and the same thing happens.

I have tested with 1 quart oil under filled, oil level full and 1/2 quart overfilled. The problem remains. I have replaced the filter, problem remains. I have not yet tried thicker oil but I have noticed the pressure drop still occurs with cold oil and a WOT blast.

The oil pump pickup is between 3/8" and 1/2" from the oil pan floor. The relief valve is not seized up. At a glance, the pump showed nothing unusual but I did not look very close at it. Also I can not say for certain that the oil pressure drop issue was occurring prior to the pickup falling off. I do find it difficult to believe that I would never have noticed the gauge behavior when blasting on it for nearly two years.

I am confident in the following:
It is not g-force related
The pan is not being sucked dry
The pickup height is not out of spec
The pickup is still attached because I welded the Hell out of it

I called Melling and they had nothing to contribute other than to say they have never heard of this problem. I don't think its bearing clearance related because if it was, I would have lower oil pressures across the board. Also when I recently drained the oil to replace the pickup, the oil was very clean with no signs of bearing fragment or other junk. I asked the folks at Melling to blame either the pump or the motor. They blamed the pump. Could it have gotten damaged as a result of the pickup being off?

Can someone provide some insight into this problem. I really want this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.
Bill
im curious also...i didnt have that problem until i installed 7 quart drag pan with pick up tube...the oil low sencer is remove so oil light goes on and off.i have the same situation but mine will drop to red sit there and jump back up,i would like to know the problem also?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
That's usually either windage or cavitation.
I can rule out windage I think. It has the stock windage tray and I have run the oil quart under full and quart over full. I have the stock tray and pickup too. Cant really be a drain back problem. Stock block and heads too. This morning it dropped from around 55# to about 40# during a 2nd gear WOT blast.

Can anyone put a possible finger on anything in the motor excluding the oil pump? My next step is going to drain the M1 5w30 and put standard Penzoil 5w30 back in. I have read where many think the M1 is thinner. I am now grasping at straws.

Whoever figures it out gets all the free Guinness on tap they can drink from my garage Keg-r-ator.

Last edited by wrd1972; 04-09-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5w-30 is too thin anyway probably, run a 10-30..plus yours is built, did u ever ask the builder what the bearings are spec'd for?? mine is 20w-50, or minimum 15w-50 in winter
Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
5w-30 is too thin anyway probably, run a 10-30..plus yours is built, did u ever ask the builder what the bearings are spec'd for?? mine is 20w-50, or minimum 15w-50 in winter
Clearances IIRC are around .0025" mains and maybe a touch more on the rods on the rods.

Last edited by wrd1972; 04-14-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

depends on the specific oil. It is possible for a 10w-30 to be thinner at operating temps than a 5w-30 or a 0w-30.

If you want to try a different viscosity try a 40wt, anything multiweight from 0 to15w-40.
The Caprice SS sent to the middleeast got a 15w-40 spec granted it gets warmer in the desert than most of the North American continent BUT it still get cold at night.

The push for thin oils in North America is CAFE driven. I am not saying thin oils are bad, they can work wonderfully. Just saying that the big reason they are pushed is for .01mpg better fuel economy and that the motors will work fine on something thicker in most cases. They are not building different engines for different destinations unless they absolutely have to for some reason.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay guys, here is a video of the 5.5K RPM pressure drop and 1st, 2nd and third gears:

You can see it drop from 60# to about 30# - 40# in a split second. The dash gauge is very accurate to the mechanical gauge.
Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I offer another vote for oil control in the pan.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My car does it too. No problems yet. As long as its not 0-psi, I say it's no big deal. If you can fix it let us know what you did to do so. I wouldn't loose sleep over it though...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I offer another vote for oil control in the pan.
Okay. So how do I gain more oil control in the pan?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Okay. So how do I gain more oil control in the pan?
maybe get a new pan ? high volume with another windage tray. try a 10-40 (unless you have and i didnt catch it) and see what it does. my car has the same setup as you have. i noitced tonight that it drops down atiny ammount under WOT but im running 10-30. my clearances are for atleast 10-40 but i was nervous running it with that thick of an oil in the winter. i might try 15-40
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

that would make a whole lot of sense. Having the pick up tube up alittle to high would cause a loss in oil pressure. GL with the tear down and finding out exactly whats wrong. Better sooner rather then later. I wouldnt want to blow up my engine either
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you change the pickup angle and install a new pump and the problem goes away, how will you know which thing fixed it?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shbox
If you change the pickup angle and install a new pump and the problem goes away, how will you know which thing fixed it?

Fair point.
Assuming the problem gets resolved. At that point I wont really care what the root problem was. I just want it fixed with the expectation I will never have to touch the oil pump again.

Quick Reply: Crazy oil pressure problem. Rises, drops then rises at WOT. WTF???