LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

isopropy (rubbing) alcohol and the emissions test...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isopropy (rubbing) alcohol and the emissions test...

I have to run my car through the emissions lane this weekend and do a sniffer style emissions test. I have herd if you run your gas tank low, but two of the bigger bottles of the 91% isopropy alcohol in your tank, run it hard for a few mins that you will have a greater chance of passing. Now im not as concerned about if this will work, im worried about putting all of this in my fuel system... can I damage anything doing this? and has anyone ever done this before? did it work?

Also, I have herd of people using denatured allchol for this and i have herd a similar effect can be obtained by using HEET, but thats a much more expensive way, isopropy alcohol is a lot cheaper.

thoughts?

Something like this...
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ex...emissions.html
Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It burns hotter and burns more of the fuel mixture. If you have cats it heats the cats up so hot that they work with no problem but if you don't have cats I don't see it helping much. not to sure about that.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Why are you worried about not passing emissions?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Why are you worried about not passing emissions?
lol.. u serious?? ummm then he cant like umm drive his car and umm they will suspend his plates or license depending which state he lives in. i think thats a good reason to be worried... thankk god illinois doesnt do 95 and pre cars anymore my car sat for awhile during those times lol.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

My concern with alcohol, especially straight like that, in the fuel system is not so much how it burns as what it breaks loose and get clogged up in injectors and filters and such. If the car is older and has never had the entire fuel system gone through or cleaned before, the alcohol can break down any varnish or built up fuel sludge that has sort of solidified or accumulated over the years. In itself that's a good thing as it would be cleaning the fuel system. The problem is it tends to gum up or get stuck in filters, injectors, etc. if there was a lot of varnish to break down.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see why your car WOULDN'T pass. You've got intake and exhaust...did you delete your emissions components (EVAP, AIR, EGR)?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gixxer75094lt1
lol.. u serious?? ummm then he cant like umm drive his car and umm they will suspend his plates or license depending which state he lives in. i think thats a good reason to be worried... thankk god illinois doesnt do 95 and pre cars anymore my car sat for awhile during those times lol.
Yeah but I dont see a reason why he would fail.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Yeah but I dont see a reason why he would fail.
Last time I tested I put out almost 3X the legal limit... I DO have a cat and working EGR...

If the car is not tested by the 24th ( I have gotten all of the extensions the state will give me) they are going to pull the registration on the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

If you have access to a good dyno tuner, you could always down tune the hell out of it so it runs like crap but passes emissions and then go back it get it tuned back properly after you pass? Just a shot in the dark though...used to work with the older air cooled Porsches and Motronic/Motec/etc.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a few cans of Seafoam and put one in a full tank of gas and pour the other thru the tb with the engine running then let the car sit for 15 minutes and restart and rev the engine and watch it smoke all the carbon and gunk out.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember with 90% mixtures of iso alcohol, the other 10% mixture is usually water. Do not put this stuff in your car.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

How about that guaranteed to pass stuff?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Zstangwalker
Last time I tested I put out almost 3X the legal limit... I DO have a cat and working EGR...

If the car is not tested by the 24th ( I have gotten all of the extensions the state will give me) they are going to pull the registration on the vehicle.
3x the legal limit of what? That will help.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cat is the key. All the other **** really wont make a damn bit of difference beside the visual to make sure it's there. The cat may need to be replaced thats what cleans up the amount of hydrocarbons seen on the test.
Did you have a tune done?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

just find a couple of guys that you know have cars that get passed but you know are not legal. see if you know them though other people that they trust and find out who inspects them and get them to call the inspector. when we had the sniffer test i would have the probe in the tail pipe of a honda. i had to have had the cleanest running lt1 in the country by that test
Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Instead of trying questionable tricks and gimmicks, you should find out why it is failing so bad in the first place.

Your combo with cats and EGR should pass with flying colors. Datalog it to check for any clues. Did you do the exhaust yourself? Your cat may be a gutted or bypassed piece from the previous owner.

Quick Reply: isopropy (rubbing) alcohol and the emissions test...