LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The Full Carb Swap Parts List And What It Takes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GITSUM95Z
I just completed this swap using the part numbers listed above. Everything has fit perfect and the motor runs like a champ. Thanks again for the info listed above!
nice..post up some numbers..i ended up changing over to a ls to drop weight..had almost everything for my lt1 motor to be done at the time..i think my buddy is going to do this swap with my brodix -10 heads if he gets them..he should make some power and hurt some feelings i think hes going blown though..
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started out using; msd 6al box, stock coil, stock msd opti, gm performance parts carb intake, 750 4150 holley. intake, carb, throttle cable w bracket was the only thing needed for the motor to function correctly.
well i went crazy. my lt1 is a competition forged 383, it now has trickflow heads bought from B.E.S racing, full roller 1.6 comp magnums, it now has a custom ground com cams "640" solid roller, msd pro billet dst, 6al, 2step, wires, coil. i went with the gm performance parts intake but thinking i may switch to the victor jr, i am an x nhra stock/ superstock guy so i put a hard hitting Quadrajet on top. manual gauges.
i took the complete windshield wiper setup out, cut the windshield overhang out, welded the firewall together and did away with the ventalation section. now there is tons of room for carb, dst access. the only downfall is the engine compartment is exposed to weather so i custom made a rubber boot between the cowl and windshield.
for the stock fuel system to carb. using high pressure fuel injection pump to carb Aeromotive makes an adjustable regulator that adjusts from 60psi to 3 psi. they are the only ones that makes a regulator that can handle the drastic psi adjustment. 3 others i tried blew out the seal in regulator.
as for ignition wiring, i went old school, gutted the entire stock wiring, to 1 wire setup.
to gain more motor compartment room i put in a custom radiator that mounts directly to core support, instead of the slanted stock style.
( i swear a big block would fit)
i will try to post pictures soon so people can see.
doing this swap, with the part numbers listed earlier in post was idiot proof. thanks agian for sharing info

Last edited by GITSUM95Z; 12-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey GITSUM95Z. What throttle cable and bracket did you go with? Do you have any links or part numbers?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad it worked out for you..an the bug def got you..lol
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nostang
Hey GITSUM95Z. What throttle cable and bracket did you go with? Do you have any links or part numbers?

Thanks,
Matt
I actually just got a universal braded cable setup. But there is a throttle cable part number listed in this thread that works, I think from a pickup or tahoe
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

its from a 3rd gen camaro..when they where carbed still or tbi.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A standard HEI will fit back there? My lt1 just bit the dust and I am thinking about doing a standard 350 swap.

Does anyone make adapters for the fuel tank so I can run a manual fuel pump?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I am switching to carb on my ls1 setup i had in my Nova. its now going into a 82 s10 truck so that I can make it street legal but 90% race. I was going to buy a whole new fuel system but Im already running a walbro 255 lph inline pump to a corvette filter that is a return line and ls1 regulator all in one. Can I still use that filter with a regulator close to the carb set to 5psi and let the rest return from the filter?

I also have 3/8 aluminum fuel line. with the pressure that the pump pushes at, will this fuel line work even with it being knocked down to 5 psi at the front by the carb or will I still need a return line off the regulator at the front since the filter in the back has a return line?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know super delay..just seen your question now..im sure you figured it out already but you would want the bypass style reg if using the stock fuel pump..mostly any reg with a return port will do..most have great luck with the mallory 4309 or you can use the aeromotive one on the first page which comes with 2 springs so you can use it on a carb or injected deal and has a boost ref so if you ever decide to ad boost your already set.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question.

On an SBC 350 the initial timing is set 8 degrees above top dead center. So what would you set the timing for on a LT1?

From my understand dwell is only for a points system. So if you use the HEI distributor you won't have to set the dwell?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 AM

I've got an 84 caprice that I want to put a 95 caprice lt1 motor into. I'd like to make it a carb motor. It looks like several of those parts links are expired parts. Is there a more current parts list available?? I'll use the 84's 700r4 trans so I can keep my stock cross member and after market true dual exhaust. I've seen some people claim I can leave the opti spark in place and plug the holes in it or I can get the block off plate so does any one know for sure if the opti spark needs to be removed or if I can just bypass it? I made mention of putting the carb set up on the lt1 in one of the b body forums and no one seemed to like the idea and was told to leave it as a fuel injection set up. However I already have a good running 95 caprice with lt1 and fuel injection and wanted something just a little different.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

put a gen 1 motor in it. The good injection system is a BIG part of the advantage to an LT1. Without that it is not much different from a gen 1 and you get into more expensive and limited intake and head choices, having to buy an aftermarket damper,having to fab a timing pointer etc. It ends up being a gen 1 engine with some slight advantages in stock head flow and a bunch of added hassles and costs. Then many guys have trouble tuning a carb on them since they are such high compression and endup running them rich.

Far as the true dual exhaust wouldn't the 95 crossmember make that easier?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with 96capricemgr.

however to answer your question

for 95 up you can get an opti block off plate about 65 bucks on summit. This also has the timing marks on it. You will also need a harmonic balancer with timing marks.

Again 96capricemgr is right on point with what he said.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Opti plug will work on the 94 cover too, it just needs to have the raised part on the back machined (ground) off.

Last edited by Concours Wagon; 04-15-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

As Adam mentions the GMPP Opti block off plate made for the LT1 TC has the "timing tab" cast into it, no need to fabricate a "pointer". ATI balancer is plug & play.

I have a LT1 spare motor I am doing a carb (650) going in a 70 Nova so just running a out of tank low pressure in-line fuel pump. electrical is a non issue. 6 speed car

If I did not already have the LT1 I would have just got a gen 1 SBC.

Obviously going Carb LT1 in a modern car w/electronic tranny and stock fuel pump than there are more "challanges" but still doable.

I see many LT1 Carb and FI motors in 50's-60's cars
Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The ATI damper is worth more than a junkyard LT1 and the stock damper is good enough I never used anything but.

So the timing pointer is $65 but you raised another needless expense the fuel pump, if he stays gen 1 he can just stick with mechanical.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Dwayne

My comments about the ATI were only to note a balancer with timing scale on it. One could certainly chose other balancers...or ways of marking one....I just happen to have a ATI and will be using it. It was a $25 junkyard find from a wrecked 96 Vette so it was considerbly less than a "junkyard" LT1. Also my comment on FP was what "I" am doing for the Nova with the LT1.Gen 1, yeah mechanical off the block

Again "I" already had a LT1 motor so just using it for the Nova in a Carb set up.

If you ever chose to build a Carb LT1, do whatever you feel is best for "your" project
Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The ATI damper is worth more than a junkyard LT1 and the stock damper is good enough I never used anything but.

So the timing pointer is $65 but you raised another needless expense the fuel pump, if he stays gen 1 he can just stick with mechanical.
Good point I forgot about.

Ill be honest I have everything to make an lt1 carbed. I plan on selling the engine and all the parts and going small block.

You could run this balancer way cheaper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80030/
Old 02-01-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam1203
You could run this balancer way cheaper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80030/
...read the 411 on that balancer

"Notes:Will not fit 1996-1997 LT4 Corvette or Camaro. Will not fit 1992-1996 LT1 Corvette"

....but there are certainly other options....including using a stock balancer that you put a sticker on with marks. Just need to position that sticker correctly :-)

or find a ATI at the junkyard like I did for $25....although I do understand it was a "rare' find for that $. I pulled it myself in a pic-a-part yard. Had the Kent Moore puller in the car although I was not even looking for a balancer at the time.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
...read the 411 on that balancer
"Notes:Will not fit 1996-1997 LT4 Corvette or Camaro. Will not fit 1992-1996 LT1 Corvette"
Why couldn't you use it? "Will not fit ..........." Of course it won't fit a stock LT1/LT4 since they use a hub that a balancer/pulley bolts to, but it will still fit the crankshaft just fine. An LT1 crankshaft is no different than a GEN1 one piece seal crank.

Quick Reply: The Full Carb Swap Parts List And What It Takes