LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some Questions about 96 camaro steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some Questions about 96 camaro steering column

Okay I have this 96, the steering column got destroyed because of an ex, she lost the key and to unlock the steering column, she used a screw driver. I wasn't there for all this, so don't flame.

My question is, Can I go to a junk yard, buy a steering column with the matching key for that column. Install it and not have to worry about the anti theft device?

I know our keys have that little metal chip, that sends an ohms reading to the computer, telling it is the right key. And I know how to by-pass this. But I would need the original key to get the ohms reading from it to know the right resisters to buy for it. But since I don't have it, and have to purchase a whole steering column and key. Will it work?

Or

Do I just need to take the VIN number to the chevy dealership, get the correct key, check ohms, buy the resisters, by-pass that. And throw away the key?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

There are like 20 possible resistor values. You can just buy the 20 resistor values and keep trying until one works. Or you can take your VIN to the dealership and see if they would be able to just give you the chip value or ask them to just measure the resistance of the chip needed. Otherwise you'll have to bite the bullet and buy the key.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Any chance you know were I can get the 20 resistor values at?

I am sure if I go to the dealership, they won't have that chip for that car. They will have to just run the VIN, and order it.. Sucks!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazylane

I am sure if I go to the dealership, they won't have that chip for that car. They will have to just run the VIN, and order it.. Sucks!!!
Find a key for the new column, then use the resistor value from the old key, just ohm it out and look it up on shoebox.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazylane

There are 12 different values of resistors, and yes, dealers do indeed stock them all. Pay the 30 bucks and avoid the headache of waiting the minimum time of 3 minutes between each incorrect resistor attempt - if you don't wait that long and you try again, even with the correct resistor, the VATS module will still keep you locked out.

Just my $0.02...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The thruth is there are actually 15 different resistance values for the key. If you get a new column, you will need the key that goes with it, because only the profile of the key that matches the lock cylinder of that column will let it turn. Then, you will need to know the resistance value of the old key pellet (which you may not have). You will need a key that matches the physical profile of the new column with the pellet value from the old key.

The column does not determine the key pellet resistance-it only sends the value to the VATS module. If you call a dealer with your VIN, they just might tell you the pellet number you need so you can get a key made. They normally want proof of ownership. They would make you a new key, but you would need to discuss your situation so they don't make one that fits the old columm.

Hopefully you will be driving over Deception Pass again in no time.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info guys.. I will just buy the column with key, and head over to the Dealership..

shbox, thanks. I haven't driven over the pass in a year, Been in afghan.. You prior military?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

If you're going to pay the $ for a new key, you might as well put it to good use.

Take them the VIN of the car and tell them to make you a key with that pellet value but have them cut the key for the new column.

Quick Reply: Some Questions about 96 camaro steering column