LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with tunning LT1 94 M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tunning LT1 94 M6

Hey guys looking to tune my car.. or at least turn the fans on early.
my car:
-msd pro bullet dist.
-msd coil
-accell plugs
-crt intake
-flow-masters
-stock thermostat
-allays run 91+ octane gas

does anyone have a .bin or .lt1 file that is either tuned with hpp or jet that I can copy? I have winflash tuner pro rt, and I have uploaded my stock tune, I found a site holding stock and modified tunes, but no one has a M6 with HPP or jet, is there some way I can copy the engine part of the tune from a 94 camaro lt1 A4 automatic, and insert it into my m6 tune? And would I benefit from that having the stock thermostat?

What about copying the engine portion of a 95 camaro LT1 M6 Jet II tune file and somehow adding it to mine? has anyone tried that or are the 95 completely different?

Should I stick with the stock thermostats or go with a 160 stat?

here is a link to the website holding the tunes I was looking at! Thanks guys I am new to this whole tuning thing so any help would be appreciated!

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/LT1Edit/LT1files.htm
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, wow, wow.

First of all you need to slow WAY down and READ.

You have no business trying to tune your own car with the questions you are asking.

Second, you DO NOT want to use Hypertech OR Jet tunes in your car when you have a complete tuning software at your disposal. That would be first-class retarded.

You need to slowly start learning how to tune, and make small changes to your tune and log the results. Solomon has an excellent write up on doing a basic tune and what you need to change, explanations of how the tables work, etc.

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips
Old 04-24-2010, 01:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem loading an auto tune. might wanna look at the idle tables.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:34 AM
10 Second Club

First most tunes you find on line are crap. Not sure if they are intentionally screwed up but most are screwed up. I have seen tunes professing to be for 30# with 3.90 and be stock injectors with 383 cubes.

HPP was good in the day when there weren't other choices today you have better choices. HPP made a few minor changes and allowed gear changes etc.

Each setup is dfferent so best to collect data for your car and tweak what is there. First lower fans to ~10 f above the thermo temp that way engine will tend to be cooler. You check and correct knock. Small changes often yield big results.

Find sites that have people who tune and read. Most who give advice don't know anything about wht they're posting about. So always be careful what advice you listen to. I have seen people give advice on cams when they had no clue but acted like they gave input based significant experience.

LT1's tend to be very rich in wot and can usually take more timing but you need to collect on your car and make changes accordng to your data. Taking pieces from tunes is not the right way use them as guides not as what your car needs.

And the stock computer is quite capable and more than adequate for >700 rwhp and consistent enough to run repeated 7000rpm passes

Good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Well the main reason why I bought the aldl cable was to see why I was getting a check engine light, and to lower the engine temps, the other day it was around 60 degrees F out side, and I was idling for a long time in stop and go traffic my temp gauge came close to over heating I would guess around 230 to 240 degrees F! I am scared to tune my self, I don't want to have it run to rich or to lean, and best case scenario ruin the 600.00 cat or worst case burn a valve or score a cylinder wall!! I thought maybe I could play it safe and use a tune form jet or something, but I will just play it safe and leave well enough alone!

Maybe I can just do a few simple things, I want to turn the fans on early, and get rid of CAGS, maybe adjust some of the EGR settings? I am pretty sure I can figure the fans out... turn the threshold temps down, and leave the a/c threshold pressure settings alone, I can't find any "flags" for CAGS or is it just code 92 shift light? If a un check the box on that one will it eliminate it? Someone already unplugged it at the tranny, but I get a code 84 skip shift fault when I scan it with Data master, and the skip shift light still comes on on the dash.

Does anyone else have problems with the EGR valve and a less restrictive exhaust? I noticed that the auto tunes files had the EGR maximum value for RPM set at 2200 rpm and mine is at 2100 rpm would that make any difference? Or should I check the EGR its self out... can't be fun right on the back of the intake manifold!! I only through a code ounce in a while, when I am lugging in 6th gear with the cruise on at around 95 to 100 km/h going up a slight grade... anyone else have this problem?

I am using Tuner Pro RT V5 Beta, and I can't figure out how to collect data, or view it while the car is running? I am using a $EE defintion file, a manul.adx file, and I can view and edit my .bin file that I uploaded using CATS winflash, should I be able to view real time data with Tuner Pro RT V5? Should I revert back to version 4 supposedly it won't work with our cars?

Okay one more question when I first looked at my tune and compared it to the other ones when I looked at my fan threshold it displayed it as a temp 200 degrees or something, now when I looked at it it says A2?? what the hell, is that, I didn't edit it yet.. am I using the right program? Did something get changed, in the settings it's like I am viewing it in hex mode or something? all the graphs are now messed up they show values of E2, X3 etc.. instead of numbers like before?? Help???

Sorry for all the questions guys, and thanks for all your help so far!!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Well I fixed one problem I had the view in hex mode checked.. at least everything is normal again now more a2 e2 crap!!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys changed the fan settings turned C.A.G.S light off, and re flashed the ecm, all I did to turn C.A.G.S off was unchecked the C.A.R.S box in tuner pro.. have they misspelled the abbreviation? Why does it say C.A.R.S as far as I know i should be C.A.G.S! ?? I still get error code skip shift 84 when I scanned with data master, but at least the annoying skip shift light no longer comes on.

Could someone please tell me how to data log with tuner pro rt v5 I tested my cable through preferences says ok, turn ignition on , than I press start/stop data scan button, and nothing happens????

Quick Reply: Help with tunning LT1 94 M6