LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Race header install starts today info help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Race header install starts today info help

Will be deleting AIR and EGR I have my EGR block off plates.

Do i just put the plate itself over the holes on the intake or do i need a gasket or something as well? Pull the solinoid off also? Any other things need to be blocked off?

Deleting AIR just pull air pump and tubes out. What will i have to block off with the with race headers?

Spark plugs- What spark plugs should i use after header install? Also what should the gap be set to?

Everything will be getting oiled tonight.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94-z
Will be deleting AIR and EGR I have my EGR block off plates.

Do i just put the plate itself over the holes on the intake or do i need a gasket or something as well? Pull the solinoid off also? Any other things need to be blocked off?

Deleting AIR just pull air pump and tubes out. What will i have to block off with the with race headers?

Spark plugs- What spark plugs should i use after header install? Also what should the gap be set to?

Everything will be getting oiled tonight.
The solenoid, valve, and tube for the EGR all come off and are replaced with block-off plates. Gaskets are needed (either RTV or gasket material).

The injection tubes on the headers will use an M22 drain plug. The crossover tube that goes under the timing cover will need to be destroyed in order to remove it.

If you're bolt-ons only, gap the plugs to .050" (stock). NGK TR55s are popular nowadays, but last about 20k miles. The TR55IX plugs will last substantially longer.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you're bolt-ons only, gap the plugs to .050" (stock). NGK TR55s are popular nowadays, but last about 20k miles. The TR55IX plugs will last substantially longer.
Are these test results you are referring to or personal experience?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

For the header install the only things that need to come off are the alternator and the starter correct and the obvious exhaust manifolds correct ?

Do anyone have a link to a real good writeup on LT1 longtube install?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

For the header install the only things that need to come off are the alternator and the starter correct and the obvious exhaust manifolds correct ?

Do anyone have a link to a real good writeup on LT1 longtube install?
I removed my stock manifolds and installed my Pacesetter LT's from underneath the car. I didn't have to touch my alt or starter. The only thing that I had to remove was the steering knuckle which was easy.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Are these test results you are referring to or personal experience?
In a high-performance, high compression application, such as the LT1, copper electrode plugs don't last NEARLY as long as iridium or platinum plugs. 20,000 miles is an estimate and could be more (or less) depending on engine abuse and/or how the motor is running (running rich, blowby, etc.). I know after 15k miles on my new TR55s, the plug gap had opened substantially.

This is standard plug information...thought maybe you'd know that. It's also why copper plugs are so cheap.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Well it's going good in 2 hours th air pump is off the y pipe is off and stuff is oiled. Going to oil again tomarrow and me and a bud are going to work on it Thursday.

How do u remove the ps manifold without taking alt or starter off I can barely get in there to oil stuff let alone wrench on it?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both the starter and the alternator have to come off.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Heres your step by step instructions: http://www.z28.com/Fanta-Z/longtube_install.docs
Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I removed my stock manifolds and installed my Pacesetter LT's from underneath the car. I didn't have to touch my alt or starter. The only thing that I had to remove was the steering knuckle which was easy.
IIRC (I have done 3 lt1 header installs) we had to removed the starter, steering knuckle, and oil filter every time. I finished my first LS1 install yesterday and it was a lot easier overall.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Should I route the plug wires overs the valve covers with the pacesetter headers? Does anyone sell a kit that is not cut to fit?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

how many clamps are there holing the air crossover on? I cant seem to get it to move much on the passenger side
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

how many clamps are there holing the air crossover on? I cant seem to get it to move much on the passenger side
Re-read my first post.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

ok EGR is off and blocked off, I have Both manifolds off rite now. I did break a couple of the plug tips but new plugs so not a problem. I just did wires like 4 years ago and the car hasn't ran in 3 years should i get new wires? they arnt burnt or anything.

I also has poly motor mounts to install what are my options for lifting the engine while it is on a lift? I searched but couldn't find a write up on them anyone have a link for them

Quick Reply: Race header install starts today info help