LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

neutral balanced flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral balanced flywheel

hello everyone
i am insearch of a neutral balanced flywheel for my car i built a internally balanced 355 and as i have found out the stock one is counter balanced. im not going to jus buy a stock one and have it balance that would not be cost effective. so who makes em? i cant find them anywhere other than the removable weight ones and if thats the case so be it, but what are the companies out there to look at?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by whitez28133
im not going to jus buy a stock one and have it balance that would not be cost effective.
Why? Zero balancing a stock flywheel is around $60. Other than that I believe the only other LT1 type flywheel you can get is billet. Whatever flywheel you go with even if it is claimed to be zero balanced you need to have it checked with the pressure plate to ensure it is balanced properly.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Centerforce Billet. You have to remove the weight to bring it to zero balance, however, as previously mentioned. Probably a good idea to get double checked with the PP.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Teching In

the flywheel thats in it is stock from a previous build and a new stock one is bout 125 if im gonna pull it apart again i wanna put a light weight one in anyway, but you think i have to send the pressure plate and clutch assembly with the flywheel to get balanced? i didnt think that the pressure plate mattered since it does not go on in only one position
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

but you think i have to send the pressure plate and clutch assembly with the flywheel to get balanced? i didnt think that the pressure plate mattered since it does not go on in only one position
Absolutely you need to. Doesn't matter which way it goes. You bolt two components together that claim to be neutrally balanced and they are slightly off, it could cause issues. I'd much rather have the peace of mind the clutch assembly be perfectly balanced.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the flywheel thats in it is stock from a previous build and a new stock one is bout 125 if im gonna pull it apart again i wanna put a light weight one in anyway, but you think i have to send the pressure plate and clutch assembly with the flywheel to get balanced? i didnt think that the pressure plate mattered since it does not go on in only one position
you can have your stock FW "neutral" balanced for about $50 and resurfaced for another $30-$40.

most auto parts stores have 'remanufactured" ones for $130 - $100 core so that is cheaper since the new one does not need to be resurfaced but still would need to get "neutral balanced.

The stock FW has a 3" raised part on the back cast into it that the machine shop would grind off and then put pins in the outer holes of FW to balance it as necesary.

As mentioned get your PP neutral balanced as well. It most likely is a few grams off.

I do it on every clutch swap on my internal balance motor.

Pic of balance work of PP & FW:
Attached Thumbnails neutral balanced flywheel-cn-pp-bal-26-grm.jpg   neutral balanced flywheel-cn.jpg  

Quick Reply: neutral balanced flywheel