LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I understand what you mean about the manufacturer, but that logic is kind of like saying "Chevy makes the Corvette, so that means a Cavalier should be just as good, right?"
Give the man a seeeeegar! If you've ever seen a reference sample from one of these "just as good as" oils, you'd know the differences. If you're really curious, get a quart of Coastal and a quart of RP. Take a sample of each and send them to the lab, then look at the additive content. This of course assumes that you know how to read and interpret the sample report.

Anything else is uninformed opinion.

The additive package is 75% of what tells the tale, the other 25% is what is used for a base stock. The "just as good as" crap is just that. If the crowd advocating this stuff for high performance use is willing to pay for your tranny, engine etc. then feel free to follow their advice. If you use a premium, non-commodity product you won't need to change once a year - and probably not once every 5 years, but as always YMMV.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Give the man a seeeeegar! If you've ever seen a reference sample from one of these "just as good as" oils, you'd know the differences. If you're really curious, get a quart of Coastal and a quart of RP. Take a sample of each and send them to the lab, then look at the additive content. This of course assumes that you know how to read and interpret the sample report.

Anything else is uninformed opinion.

The additive package is 75% of what tells the tale, the other 25% is what is used for a base stock. The "just as good as" crap is just that. If the crowd advocating this stuff for high performance use is willing to pay for your tranny, engine etc. then feel free to follow their advice. If you use a premium, non-commodity product you won't need to change once a year - and probably not once every 5 years, but as always YMMV.
This has always been my theory. Most people telling you that "penzoil is the best oil out there" probably have not used anything but penzoil, so that's why they think it's good.

I changed thousands of people's oil at walmart when I worked there. And everytime I pulled the drain plug, it was always evident what kind of oil they used (conventional vs. synthetic) Mobil1 always seemed to come out the cleanest and smoothest, regardless of miles/amount of time it had been in the motor.

Quick Reply: whats the best automatic transmission fluid?