Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

i just came back from kragen they only have 2 kind of dextron transmission fluids, they are both $1.99.
whats the best Automactic fluid and where can i find it?
z28boycali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.

Me personally, I like to use Royal Purple synthetic tyranny fluid. Why....I don't really have a scientific answer. It is just what I have always used and never had a problem with it.

YMMV.......
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Firebird

Trader Rating: 14

anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Few reputable 4L60E builders like most synthetics, with Amsoil being about the only common exception to that rule

Personally I run whatever is cheap and available when I need it, my 6.5yo tranny has seen a lot of Walmart brand fluid and according the some tranny builders is done all wrong with lots of stock parts and a vacuum modulator.

My tranny is sporting stock servos some stock clutches some simply "high energy" stock width band, stock sunshell, stock planetaries, just well assembled and it lasts wonderfully on cheap fluid. Been handling over 2 tons in the 11s for like 4 years now.
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 26
Send a message via AIM to Wicked94Z

i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 26
Send a message via AIM to Wicked94Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr View Post
Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
dyslexia ftw... VI
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Firebird

my tranny builder reccomended Dexron III
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

i've been using Coastal dexron-VI seems to work good and its cheap.
brucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z View Post
i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
john deere hy gaurd low vis with a lil redline racing fluid is what i use..
Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTomos View Post
anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18

Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by moehorsepower View Post
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTomos View Post
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
I agree, this is why I asked him what was wrong with Royal Purple and what damaged it do? He just said if we used it, the warranty was voided...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker1320 View Post
No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.
i agree. i personally like castrol products. i hear lucus products are pretty good never tried any of them though. Just a lot of the guys at the track push it.
Adam1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Good advice!
leadfoot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
brucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
I use the Coastal stuff as well and never had a problem.. I use it in all vehicles and many shops use it as well. I also have used the Castrol transmission fluid and its good as well. I use the Castrol products for motor oil in all vehicles I do work for and never had a problem.

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 3.8 DD - 199k and then committed suicide
1999 Pontiac TransAm m6 - TSP LongTube Headers, TSP ORY, Magnamouth Bullet dumped, FAST 102, NW 102 TB, MS3, PRC 2.5 5.3 heads, Monster Stage 5, Tick Master, LS2 Timing Set, TSP Ported Oil Pump, Full Tubular Suspension.

Got Money? Watch my ***.
Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer View Post
before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
^^^true that. This is the same with gas also...
94' Camaro Z28/02' SS clone. Engine-LT1 full bolt-on, 3.73 gears, custom Comp Cam, AFR 180cc Heads, A4 with 9.5" 4000stall, LS1 brakes; Interior-2002 dash with leather seats/ Exterior-2002 SS clone hardtop.
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer View Post

I understand what you mean about the manufacturer, but that logic is kind of like saying "Chevy makes the Corvette, so that means a Cavalier should be just as good, right?"
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1995, 4l60e, cavalier, changed, dexron, fluid, iv, kind, lt1, mart, super, tech, tractor, tranny, transmission, wal