whats the best automatic transmission fluid? - LS1TECH



LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
z28boycali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 145
Default whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

i just came back from kragen they only have 2 kind of dextron transmission fluids, they are both $1.99.
whats the best Automactic fluid and where can i find it?
z28boycali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Staging Lane
iTrader: (3)
 
stryker1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Muncie Dragway....Indiana
Posts: 91
Default

No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.

Me personally, I like to use Royal Purple synthetic tyranny fluid. Why....I don't really have a scientific answer. It is just what I have always used and never had a problem with it.

YMMV.......
stryker1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (15)
 
MasterTomos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 3,511
Default

anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
MasterTomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,005
Default

Few reputable 4L60E builders like most synthetics, with Amsoil being about the only common exception to that rule

Personally I run whatever is cheap and available when I need it, my 6.5yo tranny has seen a lot of Walmart brand fluid and according the some tranny builders is done all wrong with lots of stock parts and a vacuum modulator.

My tranny is sporting stock servos some stock clutches some simply "high energy" stock width band, stock sunshell, stock planetaries, just well assembled and it lasts wonderfully on cheap fluid. Been handling over 2 tons in the 11s for like 4 years now.
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
10 Second Club
iTrader: (26)
 
Wicked94Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,728
Default

i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
Wicked94Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,005
Default

Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
10 Second Club
iTrader: (26)
 
Wicked94Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr View Post
Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
dyslexia ftw... VI
Wicked94Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (15)
 
MasterTomos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 3,511
Default

my tranny builder reccomended Dexron III
MasterTomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 527
Default

i've been using Coastal dexron-VI seems to work good and its cheap.
brucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (14)
 
suicidal racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z View Post
i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
john deere hy gaurd low vis with a lil redline racing fluid is what i use..
suicidal racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTomos View Post
anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
moehorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
TECH Addict
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Navy Base San Diego CA
Posts: 2,085
Default

Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Badazz 97 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (15)
 
MasterTomos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 3,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moehorsepower View Post
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
MasterTomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTomos View Post
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
I agree, this is why I asked him what was wrong with Royal Purple and what damaged it do? He just said if we used it, the warranty was voided...
moehorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
TECH Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker1320 View Post
No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.
i agree. i personally like castrol products. i hear lucus products are pretty good never tried any of them though. Just a lot of the guys at the track push it.
Adam1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
TECH Veteran
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 4,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Good advice!
leadfoot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 527
Default

before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
brucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
TECH Resident
iTrader: (60)
 
Choppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
I use the Coastal stuff as well and never had a problem.. I use it in all vehicles and many shops use it as well. I also have used the Castrol transmission fluid and its good as well. I use the Castrol products for motor oil in all vehicles I do work for and never had a problem.
Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
11 Second Club
 
NewOrleansLT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer View Post
before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
^^^true that. This is the same with gas also...
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (15)
 
MasterTomos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 3,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer View Post
before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
I understand what you mean about the manufacturer, but that logic is kind of like saying "Chevy makes the Corvette, so that means a Cavalier should be just as good, right?"
MasterTomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T56 Lubricant Help! td1168 Manual Transmission 12 08-07-2013 06:17 PM
Manual Transmission Fluid Stone17 Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) 9 06-27-2010 08:41 PM
Best Transmission fluid speedracer08 Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) 9 10-25-2009 11:52 AM
Transmission Fluid? Bobs-00-SS Manual Transmission 5 09-29-2008 09:48 PM
build 4l60e what tRANNI fLUID IS BETTER TO RUN ? BadLtBlu99TA Automatic Transmission 3 06-10-2008 10:23 PM


Tags
1995, 4l60e, cavalier, changed, dexron, fluid, iv, kind, lt1, mart, super, tech, tractor, tranny, transmission, wal

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.