LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Flush Question

Hey Guys,

Well, I'm having my buddy do a HG change on my car b/c I have zero time to do so. He didnt realize that I hadnt drained the contaminated oil yet when he got it, so he let it sit while we waited almost a month for the heads to come back from the machine shop. When he drained the oil yesterday, he said there was a **** ton of chocolate-milk looking oil that came out. So its possible that the crankcase was submerged in that **** for a month.

My question is: does my shortblock have a snowball's chance in hell of survival at this point? If I flush the crankcase with some cleaning solution, will that clean the bearings, or are they probably already fucked from pitting and corrosion? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Launching!

No one has any input?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats a tough one. what are you planning on flushing it with. deisel is the first thing that comes to my mind
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Just flush it with some lightweight 0/20 or 5/20 cheap (Walmart) brand oil, let it sit for awhile, maybe a few hours and drain, repeat till it comes out clean oil, put in new good oil (Your Fav) and good filter (Wix, NAPA GOLD, Mobil1, or K&N to name a few)Not Fram, and you should be GTG, Change filter on a short cycle soon JMHO. Also you can try a marine engine flush like Seafoam in the crankcase, and Mopar CCC, for the combustion chambers once you have done the basic oil cleanse, if you still need it cleaned.
Good Luck on you project.

Dub
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Launching!

I was thinking of using the Amsoil engine flush cleaner. But I've heard a lot of people say Seafoam is the best, so I might go with that. My main concern is corrosion of the bearings from it sitting for so long.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'd use a product called Essentialube, made by Hydrotex. Use at a rate of 2 oz per quart of oil. Use it with some cheap oil just for the flush, then put some good sythetic in there. If it works, you're home free...if not, you aren't out much.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use any flush chemicals or solvents. You run the risk of knocking any sludge buildup loose and sending it straight to the oil pump pickup screen, clogging it (resulting in exactly what you were trying to avoid). I would just get 2 cases of el-cheapo oil 4 filters (NOT FRAM!!!) and change it 2-3x while it is still on the jackstands, take it around the block easy a couple times and change it again, then drive it easy a day and change out for good oil.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Flushing without some chemical dispersant (not using a flush solution) is akin to washing dishes without soap...not much will happen, and the dishes will still be dirty.

Quick Reply: Oil Flush Question