LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 yrs coming: my turbo LT1 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 yrs coming: my turbo LT1 build

well im sitting around bored on this lovely sunday and dont think ive shared too much of my build with ls1 tech. It's been almost two years since i picked up the car and went to work on it that week. The car is at a local shop right now getting buttoned up and tuned so i figured id post this up in anticipation of it being finished in the next few weeks.

It's a 1993 black with black leather interior, only 74k miles.

the had been forsale for a long time and the price kept getting lower and lower.

looked like a diamond in the rough to me:bigthumb

so I stole it for $3300 bucks loaded it on the trailor and headed home. It was already mini-tubbed, narrowed 9'', wilwood brakes all the way around, coilovers, all tubular rear suspension, built 4l60, and a bone stock motor
Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, with the distributor going out I pulled it of the trailor and tucked it away in the garage to decide what the plans were going to be.

a couple of weeks went by and i stumbled across a nice loking turbo setup on here.

went down and met the guy halfway in kentucky picked up the turbo setup as well as a FAST syatem, some 98lb precision injectors and some misc things.

I later sold the intercooler that came with it and picked up a bigger 4'' core
Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now i had a nice chassis in my hands, a decent turbo setup, but a bone stock motor. started looking around at my options and Found a guy up in youngstown who had a motor sitting in his garage that he bought of his friend tobail him out of a financial situation he was in.

got some details arranged and got the motor payed for. Should be a tough one built with all the best stuff.

-Callies splayed 4 bolt billet caps
-Oliver 5.85 BILLET rods,
-Callies 3.75" crank,
-8.5:1 J&E forced induction pistons
-CC billet 248/248 solid roller custom forced induction cam
-CC solid roller lifters
-AFR CNC competition ported 227 heads with solid roller springs
-Jesel shaft mount rocker arms
-Cloyes billet roller LT1 timing chain
-MSD Probillet distributor
-Ported LT4 Intake converted for use with conventional rear mount distributor
-DRM 58m TB
-MSD crank trigger setup

heres some pics of it with the old setup on it that was going to go ino a C4

[/
Old 07-18-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

next pulled the engine out, and got the bay cleaned up and ready for the ABS delete, line lock and wilwood proportioning valve to go in. shaved the engine bay and painted it. also stood up my radiator.
heres the car with the old engine out and the dirty *** bay!

When i got there we pushed the car outside and began the task of cleaning up the engine bay. It was nasty.

heres the car with the wiring all bagged up ready to be washed.

got it all cleaned up and back inside. Next we chopped out the radiator support. you can see the degreased bay in this pic too.

got it all cleaned up

motor has been in and out of the car getting things mocked up, then to paint the engine bay but it's finally in for good. motor/tranny is in the car for the final time, turbo kit is all heat wrapped and finished and bolted up, suspension is back under the car with the new k-member after it was all pulled out, blasted and i por-15's all of it.

fuel system is all plumbed and mounted, (not shown in above pic) we pulled the stock tank, sumped it, and welded the -8AN return on top

went with all magnafuel stuff, pump, pre and post filters, 1:1 rising rate boost referance regulator, -10 braided lines for feed, -8 for return

radiator is also in the car and mounted with -16 an bungs for inlet and outlet

not alot left to do on the car:
wire up the FAST and all the electronics on the car
make the braided lines and hose ends for my coolant system (already have all the -16AN bungs welded on the WP and radiator)
and a few small odds and ends
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here was the finished product at one point, it runs...

Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I decided to get rid of the 18'' fikse setup as they probably wouldnt have done me much good anyway for traction purposes.

I re-didthe wheel and brake setup. went with a 5/8'' stud it in the rear. also ordered strange drag brakes, pro series 4 piston calipers and slotted solid rotors.

went with 15x12 and 17x7 billet specialties with a 325 Mt radial

Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as the car was done and sitting over winter with a startup tune on it. I was waiting for better weather to get it final tuned and start enjoying it.

Thats when I won a raffle for a 10 point 4130 CM cage from team z. I trailered the car up to michigan and heres how it came out

Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is/was the power goals? Force fed 227s are no joke.

There is more in that combo with a single plane/4bbl setup.

PS: 93s are faster

::edit:: Holy hell that is one of the cleanest cage installs I have ever seen!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

looks great!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is sick!!!! Ive been watching your thread on LTXtech forever, glad to see it over here too!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now that the dash was out of it i had alot of work ahead. I decided to gut out behind the dash and get rid off all the unneeded modules and wiring

thats 85% of what I took out. I also later shortened the FAST harness to only the length i needed it and got rid of a bunch of wiring doing that as well.

I decided to get rid of the stock cluster as it will be one less thing to worry about geting wired up to work with the standalone

I went with a digital dash and datalogger.

Plugs right into my FAST standalone via the data port used to communicate with a laptop and displays engine RPM on the main screen and well as 6 other user selected parameters that the FAST sees in 6 smaller boxes below the RPM. and with an add on sensor i can read oil pressure as well.

I'll be able to monitor my wideband AFRs, coolant temp, oil pressure, MAP sensor for a boost reading, timing advance, TPS, voltage, injector pulse width, IAT's

as well as 120 min of typical Datalog time for 25 Channels at 10
samples/sec

thats what the digital dash i picked up looks like. the 6 boxes are selectable to any six inputs you want as well as programable to be custom labled for what they are.

and here is it in a car

I also have the option of buying an add on boost control feature which will be similar to an ams 500 or 1000. I can use the dataloger and digital dash to map out and control boost pressure using any of the parameters it's monitoring

Last edited by lt1badbird; 07-18-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also i decided to get rid of the stock intake manifold and switch over to a single plane and sheetmetal elbow

thats where the car sits now. I was about tired of working on it so i dropped the car of to the local shop and they are installing the dash, the dataloger/digi dash, single plane, and tuning it.

then it comes back to me to paint the cage, install the interior and new corbeaus i picked up
Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
What is/was the power goals? Force fed 227s are no joke.

There is more in that combo with a single plane/4bbl setup.

PS: 93s are faster

::edit:: Holy hell that is one of the cleanest cage installs I have ever seen!!!!
as youll see in my newest updates i am switch to a single plane setup. sticking with a elbow and stock style TB for now tokeep cost down and get it finished up. once its all done I can go back and change smaler things like that to a 4bbl or big single accufab or something.

as for the power goal, not really sure, it's just got a t6 gt42 on it right now which is a 74mm so im hoping to see whatever that turbo will put down flow wise. It's a little small for this setup now that im this deep into it. Once the car is runnig good and dialed in that may be another thing that goes in favor of a 88 or 91mm.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

great build congrats and very nice fab work on the engine compartment! Where are those plug wires going, did you ditch the opti?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Launching!

may i ask how much money you have invested in this car?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. That looks incredible!

What wheels WERE those?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here you can see it down at the shop in the backround. hoping they will have it finished up soon for me. been kindof on the back shelf to al these 2010's theyve been working on

Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merim123
great build congrats and very nice fab work on the engine compartment! Where are those plug wires going, did you ditch the opti?
yeah plug wires are going back to a conventional distributor. opti is long gone
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Wow. That looks incredible!

What wheels WERE those?
18x10 and 18x12 fikse FM-10s
Old 07-18-2010, 02:01 PM

nice ta man! love transams, I almost bought a white 1

Quick Reply: 2 yrs coming: my turbo LT1 build