LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuner Cat file in Lt1 edit program??

Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuner Cat file in Lt1 edit program??

I currently have lt1 edit for my personal tuning program. Well recently took it and had it dyno tuned, they used Tuner Cats. So my current tune is a tuner cats file and I want to change converter lock up and shift points. Can I read the pcm with lt1 edit, make my changes and re-program it as a .lt1 file and still keep the tune the same? I know Tuner cats has alot more tables then lt1 edit does for tuning, just want to make sure it wont mess them up. Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you read the pcm with lt1 edit than the file will be in lt1edit's format
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not saying this will work, but,you might try removing all formatting and then move it into lt1edit.. make copies of the file before you do this...

click the file you want to deformat, right click, go properties, click the details tab, then down at the bottom theres phrase that says remove properties and personal information (click on it, it opens a new window),choose remove following properties from this file, highlight the file type, click ok...

i'm not sure this will work, but you can try it, as i stated before, make a copy of the file before you start.. compare it to another one of your lt1 edit files that you have that would be close, after you remove formatting..

also this is in windows7, winxp, and win2k should be nearly the same to remove formatting..

i had to do this to some .bin files that were turned into zip files and it worked for me.

Last edited by brucer; 07-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like I have seen this on another forum...
This is how you do it seamlessly. Using LT1Edit, download the current tune from the PCM to a file. Using LT1Edit, modify the tables of interest. Using LT1Edit, upload the new tune to the PCM. Moving from Tunercat to LT1Edit is problematic. Less so for LT1Edit to Tunercat, but Tunercat is still supported, unlike LT1Edit which is only supported by the "send us money so we can party" group. (Sarcasm intended and justified.)
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There ya go.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thought about this and was like wtf, dumba$$ attack......
all you need to do is use the lt1-edit to pull the tuned .bin from the factory pcm..

when you upload the tunercat or lt1-edit or tunerpro file to the pcm its pure .bin file anyways isnt it? its just when you download from the pcm to your program is when it formats to either the lt1-edit or tunercats or tunerpro, thats what the definition file does..
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

I thought I can open Lt1 edit, go to the read pcm area, let it read the pcm, and now the once .bin file is .lt1 file.Change my shift points and stuff and upload it as the .lt1 file and have the exact same tune with my adjustments to shift points or whatever?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brucer and Meen95z, you are on the correct path. An application, such as LT1Edit or Tunercat, will start reading the file from your PC (all files are binary in the most basic concept). They will first read the header of the file. It will explain things like file length, the checksum (to check for data integrity) and various other items of interest. After that begins the actual binary portion of the file, which the PCM will use for execution. Then there is the footer, or the end of the file, which may or may not contain items of interest.
When the application downloads the tune from the PCM, it inserts its own header and footer, which will explain the contents of the file the next time it goes to use it.
So, you can upload a tune to the PCM using Tunercat, then download it from the PCM using LT1Edit, and it will be in LT1Edit format.
I hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

So I can just do what I stated correct?
1. Read the pcm with lt1 edit.
2. Open (read) file and make my changes and save as .lt1 file.
3. Upload new .lt1 file with lt1 edit to pcm.

Like I said, I had it tuned with tuner cats and that program offers more tables. Just wanted to make sure that reading it with lt1edit and making changes then programming my pcm again wasnt gonna ruin my tune.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Won't hurt a thing. I thought that was pretty clear here. You won't, of course, see everything you can with TunerCat, but you can make basic changes.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Alright, Thanks Ed, thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for not understanding that better..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner Cat file in Lt1 edit program??