LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help clanking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help clanking sound

ok so on my other thread i posted that i took off the driver side valve cover and on the #5 cylinders one of the poly locks came off and the other one the rod bent and dropped under the intake so i ordered some comp cam push rods 3 days ago and they cam in today... they are 5/16 7.195 i put them on and put the rockers back on and set them to zero lash by turning the motor over and waiting for the intake lifter the go down starting from #1 then following the firing order and i found zero lash by doing the twisting method then turned the poly locks 1/4 turn then set the locks .... so i go that all done and put every thing else back on the intake and all the other stuff i turned on the motor and then i herd a loud clanking sound so i was like wtf i know i set the rockers right so i was like F it ill try and set them with the motor on so i loosen all the poly locks and i turn the motor back on and still the clanking sound is still there does this sound right to you... i have never done this before so i don't know much so was thinking it was the valves hitting the cylinders is it that but if so how can it still be doing that with the poly locks lose ....pleas help ....if it helps i have a 93 z28 355.lt4hot cam, 3100 stall, ported heads,ported intake, stock lifters, comp cam rods, ebay 1.6 rockers, comp cam springs. and its tuned ...the car before this it never made this sound just some chattering form the rockers before i took every thing apart what it it help
Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i gave it one more try before i give up today i tighten all the poly lock and turn the motor on so i can adjust them the motor sounded fine it had normal rocker chatter then the motor sounds think it drops in rpms for a sec them the clanking happens then it gos back to normal chatter... before i put every thing back to together i looked at the lifters and they looked fine can it possibly be a bad lifter or do i need to let it run a lil more so every thing has the right oil in it ... it was still all torn down for 4 days... any help pleas