LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headders for LT1 in a Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headders for LT1 in a Volvo

Hi guys.

I have a 1995 LT1 from a Camaro sitting in my garage, the standard headders wont fit because of their big flanges so I´m thinking of replacing them with headders.

I have read quite much of different styles, block huggers, shortys, mid and long tube headders. As I understand the long tube headders would be the best.

My question is: Is there a long tube headder that makes a tight fit, similar to the block hugger headders? I don´t have much room between the frame rails. Its a Volvo 264 that will receive this engine. On the other hand, the 1995 camaro seems to be a tight fit also.

The engine won´t se much rebuilding at this stage: new cam, 1.6 rockers, free flow airfilter and 3" exhaust with no cat.

Thanks
Hakan
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headers are almost always made for specific vehicle/motor combos. Those headers were made to fit on an LT1 camaro, not just any LT1 engine-powered vehicle. By some off chance you might get lucky if they fit in another vehicle, (caprice/Impala headers maybe? but that an expensive gamble if you don't have some you can borrow to test fitment)

You'll more than likely have to have the headers built or make them yourself for a not-so-common build like this.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not just do mids with custom downpiping? its been proven that they dont give up a whole lot to LTs
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your replies.

I understand that most headders are made to suit a specific model car, maybe my question should be wich car with LT1 engine have the tightest engine compartment?

So mids isn´t so bad compared to long tubes? Maybe thats the way to go.

Do you have any experience if there are any problems with removing spark plugs with a specific brand headder installed? I mean, it seems unnessesary if I have to remove the engine from the car or remove the headders just to change the sparkplugs.

Thanks again
Hakan
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Veteran

the f bodys have the tighest compartment. whenever clearance is an issue, mids are always a good choice
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the f bodys have the tighest compartment.
what about C4 vettes?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your replies.

I´ve been thinking and I think I´m going to get a pair of longtube headders after all. Headders, y-pipe and a single 3" pipe with two mufflers. What du you think about that? Don´t want the loudest car in town but when I put the pedal to the metal I want people to hear it. When cruising I don´t want a lot of sound, just a "silent" rumble.

I have to modify my bulkhead and transmissiontunnel for clearance anyway so why not go all in?

So F body or C4 Vette has the tightest fit?

Does anyone know which manufacurer has the slimmest headders? I´ve heard that Hooker headders would be tight but I would like to get that confirmed. Or another brand.

Thanks
Hakan
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe heddmans are 1 5/8s compared to the standard 1 3/4

Quick Reply: Headders for LT1 in a Volvo