LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is going on with my brakes? They really suck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What is going on with my brakes? They really suck.

Okay I have a full front and rear LS1 brake conversion and the braking power sucks. The LT1 brakes sucked even worse and I am now convinced their is a problem.

The brake pedal pushes in maybe an inch or two and gets hard as a rock. You have to push the Hell out of it to get decent stopping power in a panic situation.

I have compared the braking power to my truck, mini van and Accord. There is a problem here.

I really dont think the calipers, pads or rotors are a problem. I have bled them several times the best I can and I do not have any ABS lights. The booster seems to be doing its job so all thats really left is the master cylinder.

Can a bad master cylinder cause a firm pedal and lack of braking power? Any other suggestions?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have same problem with my 69 Firebird. Every time brake fluid gets hot, it has hard brake pedal and bad braking. Im thinking its my master cylinder aswell.

Last edited by LT1; 07-22-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes have always been hard and hard to stop. I thought it was just normal?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

power booster will cause a hard pedal. A bad MC will cause a soft pedal situation
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

If I press the brake several times with the motor NOT running. It will firm up. If I hold the brake and start the motor, the brake pedal sinks like it should. The booster is definitely holding air, I confirmed that.

The few inches the pedal moves feels soft to me then it gets hard as a rock. The area of pedal of pedal travel before it gets rock hard provides very little braking power.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its probly the abs
Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pyro719
Its probly the abs
If thats the case. Whats the fix?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it happen all the time or is it intermediate?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure lol mine definitely dosnt work. I'll be deleting it soon.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Does it happen all the time or is it intermediate?
Seems to be all of the time. I cant even really get them to lock up and have the ABS chirp. Drove a buddies WRX this morning and that is the way brakes should work. I am even now further convinced there is a problem and now I am resiting even driving it cause if I have to panic stop, I am fucked.

His pedal is not as soft as mine during its normal travel prior to it getting very hard.

I am trying to think this through. The several inches of travel must be the normal travel of the MC pistons which apply force. Once the pedal stops, that must be the end of the pistons travel and no more forece is available. **** I dont know what to do except put a MC on it. Should not cost too much.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

how badly do you want to keep the ABS? I ditched my ABS and I have the Bob Bishop/C5 up front and stock lt1 in back. the pedal is perfect now, i think the abs takes away some of that nice pedal feel. i too had the same problem with ABS. I could never get it to lock and get that ABS kicking in feeling. Really didn't feel right, so I ditched it.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

At this point I prefer to keep it. I would even be willing to have it repaired assuming it had a problem.

Is there any chance I have bled the system arong and NOT taken into account something "special" on the ABS when doing so?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is a special procedure for bleeding the ABS and not sure if there is any special equipment involved. When I was going through all that on mine a few years back, i was doing a lot of searching how best to resolve it. I think you have to bleed the M/C, bleed the ABS block, then bleed the wheels and what I don't recall was if the dealer had to hook up some machine so that it could actuate the ABS during the bleeding process. Again not completely sure, worth a call to the dealer see if they can tell you how they would bleed the system.

i bought the SJM kit from the sponsors here and it's been solid for a few years.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by merim123
there is a special procedure for bleeding the ABS and not sure if there is any special equipment involved. When I was going through all that on mine a few years back, i was doing a lot of searching how best to resolve it. I think you have to bleed the M/C, bleed the ABS block, then bleed the wheels and what I don't recall was if the dealer had to hook up some machine so that it could actuate the ABS during the bleeding process. Again not completely sure, worth a call to the dealer see if they can tell you how they would bleed the system.

i bought the SJM kit from the sponsors here and it's been solid for a few years.
Thanks for the response.
I will call the dealer but I am sure their response will be "Uh, we have special stuff that must be used to get'r done" wheter its true or not. I am confident in saying when the system was dry, I did NOT bench bleed the MC prior to bleeding all of the corners. Maybe there is still an air bubble present which makes some sense.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

yeah you need to bench bleed it if you ran it dry. that will cause a definite problem
Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

bench bleed it for sure if you ran it dry. go to autozone and see if they will give you some of those little bench bleeding adapters, if not, i made my own and turned them into the master from hard lines.

also, i can look up the abs bleeding procedure in the service manual if you don't have one, let me know.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Buddy of mine drove it and he thinks the hydros are fine and the pedal feels normal. He thinks the pads are ****. I have Napa Safety Stop (supposed top be some version of raybestos) that are about three years ago and the front left has an annoying squeak.

I have been wanting to replace them anyway so now would be a good time to rule the pads out before tearing the MC off.

Pad recommendations?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hawk pads seem to be pretty nice.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay I did some more diagnosing.
MAP @ engine idle = 17 on the scan master
MAP @ engine decelerating = 10 on the scan master
BAR = 30

For the record, I have a 224/230 cam so vacuum is worse than the stock cam which makes 12 MAP on the scan master.

Hard braking is much better if I don't push the clutch at the same time as the brake pedal (10 MAP).

Hard braking is worse when I push the clutch at the same time as the brake pedal (17 MAP).

Somehow this seems vacuum related. Results are the same regardless if I have a brake vacuum cannister installed or not.

Brake booster seems to pass all of the diagnostic tests.
  • Hold vaccum for hours. Goes psssst if you pull the check valve.
  • Motor off, brake pedal goes down and then gets firmer with each new pump.
  • Pedal sinks when the motor is started assuming the booster has no vaccum.

Brake pedal feels just like the pedal in any other car.
Is there still a possibility that the booster could be bad?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brakes perform just like you describe yours and have for as long as I remember. I think you are on the right track trouble shooting the power assist. I'm tempted to replace my booster one of these days.
I just finished installing 4 wheel disc brakes on my 68 and they are nothing special GM pieces at the calipars, pads, and rotors, but I did get a dual diaphram 9" booster and this car stops much better than my T/A. The 68's pedal feel is just right, perhaps even a bit touchy which is last way I would describe the T/A pedal. I know our original boosters are smaller but I'm begining to think they are single diaphram or just junk. Perhaps they don't leak vacuum but the diaphram is old and stiff.

Quick Reply: What is going on with my brakes? They really suck.