LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car won't start,I think it's a fuel issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start,I think it's a fuel issue.

Let me lay out the whole situation.

About 2 months ago my 1995 Firebird Formula M6 just died in the middle of the road after running absolutely perfect. (My first thought was "OPTISPARK") I tow it home and use troubeshooting techniques from Shbox website; it appeared my ICM was bad. The car had over 100,000 miles on stock ICM,Opti,and Coil so I wasn't mad. I then ordered a Brand new Optispark,ICM,and a MSD Coil and just installed everything yesterday. Go to crank it and it won't start. The fuel pump primes and the coil is giving off a bright blue spark . I bought a bottle of starter fluid,sprayed it into the throttle bodies and the engine started right up and idled for about 5 seconds until it ran out of fluid..So I'm thinking I have fuel issue but the fuel pump is priming when ignition is on and when cranking. So I'm ruling out the fuel pump.

I'm at a total loss and I need help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 89crxsi; 07-24-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't rule out the fuel pump until you've gotten a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and diagnosed it. Just because it sounds like it's running doesn't mean it's putting out ample pressure to keep the car running. A fuel pressure test should be your next course of action for sure.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I really hope it's not the fuel pump,I replaced it 4 months ago with oem and that was a PITA.

How do you test for fuel pressure with these cars.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Also, the two 7.5A fuel injector fuses are good.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

As I mentioned in my first post, you need a fuel pressure test gauge (for fuel injection with a screw-on fitting for the Schrader valve on the fuel rail - they run about $30-$35). Pressure should be around 43lbs with the key on, engine off and should hold steady once the pump is primed.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I put a fuel pressure guage on the schrader valve and it reads between 3-5 lbs while cranking. So it's defineately a fuel issue. I'm not sure what to do next, the fuel pump primes and has the correct voltage according to my meter with ign on and cranking.

Could the fuel filter cause this issue?

What next?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm voting Fuel Pump. Mine took a **** on me when I pulled it out of storage after getting back from Iraq..did it while driving too.

Cut an access panel when you change it.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Something else I noticed while troubleshooting today.

When the pump primes it sounds like a waterfall in the fuel tank. Does that mean all the fuel it's pumping is going right back into the tank instead of the motor? I read something about a check valve or ball going bad causing the pump to leak insided the tank.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 89crxsi
Something else I noticed while troubleshooting today.

When the pump primes it sounds like a waterfall in the fuel tank. Does that mean all the fuel it's pumping is going right back into the tank instead of the motor? I read something about a check valve or ball going bad causing the pump to leak insided the tank.
If the flex pipe or fitting from the pump to the line at the top of the tank is broken or leaking then yes, it's possible to hear that sound.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Won't know till you pull it apart..
Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I think this time I'll cut the metal to access the pump like the_merv said..Also thanks for the picture of the L shaped cutout in the other thread..
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Teching In

UPDATE :

I got the assembly out of the tank and the damn flex tube was disconnected from the top ,it's an oem flex tube with the GM clamps..I clamped it back on,put the assembly back in the tank and the car started right up 1st crank and show 44psi at idle..

WTF,why would the flex tube just come off like that? It fits on tight and everything and I can't pull it off without depressing the GM clamp..

Why would this happen?

Thanks for the help so far
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Launching!

hit any realy big pot holes?? maybe it wasent on all they way from last time u changed it? maybe it just wanted u to work on it..l,ol
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89crxsi
UPDATE :

I got the assembly out of the tank and the damn flex tube was disconnected from the top ,it's an oem flex tube with the GM clamps..I clamped it back on,put the assembly back in the tank and the car started right up 1st crank and show 44psi at idle..

WTF,why would the flex tube just come off like that? It fits on tight and everything and I can't pull it off without depressing the GM clamp..

Why would this happen?

Thanks for the help so far
You never know, it could be a number of things. Clamp wasn't ever tight all the way from the factory, it vibrated apart, hit a big bump, etc. The good news is it was a simple fix.