LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some CAM questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some CAM questions....

I have read and read the sticky "cam/valve train selection guide". Great info!!! My plans for my car? Eventually i want a very reliable, street driven turbo car. I want a slightly higher revving engine, and something with a mild choppy to aggressive choppy idle. I think i have settled on the Comp Cams 305 with the 112 degree lobe separation idle. I am going to be using their 1.66rr's as well. NOW, what i'm a little confused about it some of my stock pieces. As far as my intake manifold and my head go, am i required to do anything? I see in a lot of threads people are having them ported. is this required? I thought ported heads and a stock intake manifold was a pointless if not hinder some combination. I'm sure it depends on your set up and ive tried to do as much homework as i can but search has stopped giving me anything new and Google sucks. Have i made the right choice in cams? Is there anything else i will have to do aside from the cam, springs, retainers lifters roller rockers, and a tune? I also plan on running a true dual set up, specifically kooks long tubes, an x pipe, dual Borla XR1's and Corsa clones.

Also, where do i buy the actual camshaft? I checked Comp Cams website its very confusing, i couldn't find any info at all on the 305/112LSA

Which parts are best paired with the CC305? Beehive springs or dual springs?Which push rods? Which rocker arms?

Last edited by evilZO6; 07-30-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I have read and read the sticky "cam/valve train selection guide". Great info!!! My plans for my car? Eventually i want a very reliable, street driven turbo car. I want a slightly higher revving engine, and something with a mild choppy to aggressive choppy idle. I think i have settled on the Comp Cams 305 with the 112 degree lobe separation idle. I am going to be using their 1.66rr's as well. NOW, what i'm a little confused about it some of my stock pieces. As far as my intake manifold and my head go, am i required to do anything? I see in a lot of threads people are having them ported. is this required? I thought ported heads and a stock intake manifold was a pointless if not hinder some combination. I'm sure it depends on your set up and ive tried to do as much homework as i can but search has stopped giving me anything new and Google sucks. Have i made the right choice in cams? Is there anything else i will have to do aside from the cam, springs, retainers lifters roller rockers, and a tune? I also plan on running a true dual set up, specifically kooks long tubes, an x pipe, dual Borla XR1's and Corsa clones.

Also, where do i buy the actual camshaft? I checked Comp Cams website its very confusing, i couldn't find any info at all on the 305/112LSA

Which parts are best paired with the CC305? Beehive springs or dual springs?Which push rods? Which rocker arms?
No head or intake porting is required whatsoever with the CC305. The 305 is a nice grind, but you can edge a little more out with the CC503 (XE grind). It has great street manners and driveability.

For rocker arms go with Comp Pro Magnums or Crane Golds, IMO.
To make your valve spring choice easy, go with the Crane 10308 kit. It includes springs, locks, retainers, and seats, everything you need.

Just about every supporting vendor on the site can hook you up with everything you need. I suggest going with Larry at Speedinc.com
Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No head or intake porting is required whatsoever with the CC305. The 305 is a nice grind, but you can edge a little more out with the CC503 (XE grind). It has great street manners and driveability.

For rocker arms go with Comp Pro Magnums or Crane Golds, IMO.
To make your valve spring choice easy, go with the Crane 10308 kit. It includes springs, locks, retainers, and seats, everything you need.

Just about every supporting vendor on the site can hook you up with everything you need. I suggest going with Larry at Speedinc.com
Wow thank you so much for the info and fast reply!! I would love to go with something bigger like the CC503 or a number of other cams, but i live in california and i have to constantly worry about emissions. I know the cc305 will pass, and i know it says that with a tune the 503 will pass, but im not sure that will fly here in Ca. Any tips on getting past that? I should have mentioned earlier i need to pass emissions. im trying to find a "good" shop to take it to, but i'd still like to have my but covered you know, just in case.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Wow thank you so much for the info and fast reply!! I would love to go with something bigger like the CC503 or a number of other cams, but i live in california and i have to constantly worry about emissions. I know the cc305 will pass, and i know it says that with a tune the 503 will pass, but im not sure that will fly here in Ca. Any tips on getting past that? I should have mentioned earlier i need to pass emissions. im trying to find a "good" shop to take it to, but i'd still like to have my but covered you know, just in case.
Ahhhhh emissions... The 503 can pass, but it's much easier to pass with the 305 then.

Either way you're still going to need a tune though!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

even without emissions i would want a tune! Im all about maximum efficiency you know, squeezing whatever you can out of things. besides i plan on going turbo, so i have plenty of tuning to look forward to! Emissions here really aren't the nightmare everyone makes them out to be, you just have to plan things differently.

Anyone in Ca recommend a good shop for tuning? Anywhere in Ca is fine, i live in NorCal, go to school in San Francisco, and i am pursuing acting so im in SoCal a lot.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you're looking at a cam and you've made some good choices so far.....but......(I have to play the fatherly role, since it's my preferred route)

Why not just build the turbo motor slowly piece by piece, then drop it all in at once....Instead of buying a cam for your n/a setup now, buy a custom grind turbo cam and put it on the shelf.....then when the shortblock comes together you already have the one piece you wouldn't have otherwise. I'm all about buying parts and putting them on the shelf for use in a project that is planned out over time.....that comes from being a broke a$$ dad....but my girls get whatever they want....JMO....
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by duh
I know you're looking at a cam and you've made some good choices so far.....but......(I have to play the fatherly role, since it's my preferred route)

Why not just build the turbo motor slowly piece by piece, then drop it all in at once....Instead of buying a cam for your n/a setup now, buy a custom grind turbo cam and put it on the shelf.....then when the shortblock comes together you already have the one piece you wouldn't have otherwise. I'm all about buying parts and putting them on the shelf for use in a project that is planned out over time.....that comes from being a broke a$$ dad....but my girls get whatever they want....JMO....
The engine is coming out of the car, and at the same time as the cam swap, im going a forged 9.5:1 rotating assembly with dished pistons. i didn't mention it becuase i just felt these were cam only related questions. The cam i've chosen can be used in NA as well as Turbo set ups, as long as you have 9.5:1. my WS6 will be out of commission for a while, but im doing the whole build at once i have been saving for a long time. As far as turbo, its probably going to have to wait till next semester or even next summer but with the components i've chosen, i will NOT have a street monster on my hand right away, i'll probably have a near stock performing engine, that i can still have fun with, that is ready for the turbo! My near and future plans both have played a roll in the components i have chose, not to mention Ca emissions. If anyone knows of any better turbo-oriented cams that will pass ca emissions please let me know, i'm all ears. But so far, from the info I've gathered, custom grind Cams are not legal in Ca because to be legal, you have to have a CARB EO number. To obtain the EO number, you have to pass rigorous testing. So the only EO parts are those that have been mass produced and tested to the gills, in other words, i would have to have my cam ground and then probably pay around $15,000 for the testing lol and then obtain my EO number.

I realize other parts im planning on using dont have Eo numbers like my headers, x pipe or even my intake. But these are parts i dont mind swapping out every other year for emissions testing, a cam is a different story. The turbo surprisingly is legal.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude i live in cali i dont have cats , egr, i just payed to pass inspection. inspection shouldnt be an issue it cost 150 for someone to pass your car . anyways listen to ramair he has a great load of info
Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm now also considering the CC502. it has a slightly higher rpm, a little more lift and same LSA. I didn't realize it was emissions capable, i think i got it confused with the 503 until i read through it again.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd get a cc503 and be done with it. if you raise the idle and throw some timing at it you'll hardly hear the lope which helps if you get pulled over. spending a day on a cam and exhaust swap and reflash is NOT worth the 150-250 it costs to get your car passed. There are shops in the bay area that will pass you, I live in socal and this **** gets posted in the western section all the time. Dude I used to just fax my renewal notice to a guy in LA and mail him a money order But now my setup is 100% smog legal cuz i'm a tree hugging californian.................
Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i'd get a cc503 and be done with it. if you raise the idle and throw some timing at it you'll hardly hear the lope which helps if you get pulled over. spending a day on a cam and exhaust swap and reflash is NOT worth the 150-250 it costs to get your car passed. There are shops in the bay area that will pass you, I live in socal and this **** gets posted in the western section all the time. Dude I used to just fax my renewal notice to a guy in LA and mail him a money order But now my setup is 100% smog legal cuz i'm a tree hugging californian.................
dude i completely agree with you!!! I don't mind spending the $, i just cant find a freaking shop!!!! PM me any references you have, its starting to get ridiculous lol!!! i am looking at starting mod in the next few months so theres plenty of time, i would love to find a shop and then plan on modding the way i want to! If there was any rhyme or reason behind the laws, i would understand. But IMO if a car passes the sniffer, and since i run E85 it would never fail, i seriously dont see a problem. 99% of parts are illegal because theres a CA law that says you can't move a catalytic converter from its stock location, so there goes any long tubes or x pipes. Its ridiculous, it doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: Some CAM questions....