LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

detriot locker diff, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detriot locker diff, any good?

looking to get this for my 94 firebird formula if its worth my while.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-162C59A/

my posi doesnt always hook and its very annoying. what else would i need if i replaced this? and how exactly is it changed? any special tools?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Waste of money IMO. No offense to you but it looks like you are kind of just picking out parts from a catalog... you might need to do a lot of searching and reading up on this site. Check out the gears & axles forum.

Theres not much you can do to the factory rear end in these cars... they will still be weak. Its especially not worth spending $500+ just on a differential. Save for a stronger rear such as a 12bolt, 9 inch, S60, etc...
Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spiers
Waste of money IMO. No offense to you but it looks like you are kind of just picking out parts from a catalog... you might need to do a lot of searching and reading up on this site. Check out the gears & axles forum.

Theres not much you can do to the factory rear end in these cars... they will still be weak. Its especially not worth spending $500+ just on a differential. Save for a stronger rear such as a 12bolt, 9 inch, S60, etc...
well i am trying to pick out parts, im looking to put a fair bit of cash into this car and i dont see why i need a whole new stronger rear, im not going to be racing it or anything
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Then why would you need a new differential? What do you mean it "doesnt always hook"?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Then why would you need a new differential? What do you mean it "doesnt always hook"?
half the time it only spins one tire, mostly in the rain. are any of these any good? http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...d=differential
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

and it never ever catches both tires when i turn right
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a TruTrac in my 9" and it works great. The 9" ones look different than the 10 bolt ones though. I've seen people post about issues with the TruTrac in the 10 bolt. I think what Spiers is trying to say is the stock 10 bolt isn't very strong and most people are just waisting $ by trying to upgrade parts for them. If you've got a stick and plan on doing any racing your on borrowed time, auto's live a little longer but can still be broken at the stock power level. If you not gonna race it and plan on using street tires I wouldn't put a $500 posi in it, just find a stocker and call it done! Just a heads up spinning the tires around corners will wear out your posi.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt waste the money on one of those... you'd be halfway to buying a better rear end. Especially if you have to pay labor... I would take off the cover and see what is wrong with yours, or maybe buy a good used diff.

You can get a complete used stock rearend assembly for $150 these days... much less just a pull out posi unit.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you might try changing your gear oil, and dont forget the limited slip additive when you change the gear oil.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28
I've got a TruTrac in my 9" and it works great. The 9" ones look different than the 10 bolt ones though. I've seen people post about issues with the TruTrac in the 10 bolt. I think what Spiers is trying to say is the stock 10 bolt isn't very strong and most people are just waisting $ by trying to upgrade parts for them. If you've got a stick and plan on doing any racing your on borrowed time, auto's live a little longer but can still be broken at the stock power level. If you not gonna race it and plan on using street tires I wouldn't put a $500 posi in it, just find a stocker and call it done! Just a heads up spinning the tires around corners will wear out your posi.
thats the problem, a couple people owned this car before me and drove the hell out of it and the posi is worn out, i ended up getting the car for a really good price because my buddy owned it so im putting alot of parts in it. and i cant find a good used diff around here and i dont have a problem putting a 500$ posi in it if it comes with everything i will need as long as both tires always have good traction
I wouldnt waste the money on one of those... you'd be halfway to buying a better rear end. Especially if you have to pay labor... I would take off the cover and see what is wrong with yours, or maybe buy a good used diff.

You can get a complete used stock rearend assembly for $150 these days... much less just a pull out posi unit.
that would be a better route but i basically live in the middle of nowhere and i wont be able to get a used diff anywhere around here and i would just rather buy new gear.

Originally Posted by brucer
you might try changing your gear oil, and dont forget the limited slip additive when you change the gear oil.
i tried that and did a bunch of really tight circles in a empty parking lot, i was told it could help but it didnt make a difference.