LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

!A.I.R., now check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default !A.I.R., now check engine light.

Hey guys, put an EWP in my car the other day, ran it into the old air pump relay and fuse, and took out the A.I.R. My question is that by deleting the air pump is there any way it would cause the car to throw a code?? Or is something else up that is doing it. The check engine light doesn't come on right away, but after it has been running for a bit. Also, whenever the lights come on, so do the fans. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EsCrasston
Hey guys, put an EWP in my car the other day, ran it into the old air pump relay and fuse, and took out the A.I.R. My question is that by deleting the air pump is there any way it would cause the car to throw a code?? Or is something else up that is doing it. The check engine light doesn't come on right away, but after it has been running for a bit. Also, whenever the lights come on, so do the fans. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks.
Whenever the SES comes on, the fans come on. That's a default GM "ism."
Assuming you have an OBDI car, you can't just hook the AIR wiring to the water pump and expect it to be problem free. The AIR pump only runs on start-up - not exactly ideal for your water pump. Since you have an OBDI car, check this guide out. It tells you everything you need to do: http://stevil.easy48.com/AIR-CSI.htm

Note that those directions will differ for OBDII cars, for whoever else reads this post.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Whenever the SES comes on, the fans come on. That's a default GM "ism."
Assuming you have an OBDI car, you can't just hook the AIR wiring to the water pump and expect it to be problem free. The AIR pump only runs on start-up - not exactly ideal for your water pump. Since you have an OBDI car, check this guide out. It tells you everything you need to do: http://stevil.easy48.com/AIR-CSI.htm

Note that those directions will differ for OBDII cars, for whoever else reads this post.
Sorry. Forgot to specify. I just used the factory location for the air pump relay and fuse. Rewired the whole thing so it is right and not running just on startup. That's definitely not the problem. The water pump works fine.

Quick Reply: !A.I.R., now check engine light.