LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starting issue

Hey guys... 97 WS6, about 123k miles. Up until about 3 weeks ago, the car would crank over and start the first hit. Recently, it's been ridiculously hot here and the car, if not having been run for a while, would crank and crank and crank, then finally get going but would stumble then finally run fine once it got up to regular idle speed. Talked to a buddy of mine, after some quick over AIM diag, he figured it was probably the coil acting up, since it likely had never been replaced, and that high temps cause the coil to act funny. Went and bought a replacement coil, swapped it out, hooked everything back up. Same thing. It started EASIER, but still cranked a few times before it fired, and it didn't just fire and go right to idle, it 'chugged' a time or two, not real bad like before, before it settled down. His next suggestion was possibly the ignition control module since it sits right by the cylinder head also. I don't want to name him in here, don't want him to think I'm doubting him(he's a LONG time member and has had his TT TA in GMHTP), I just want a few more opinions before I throw more money at this, in case someone else thinks it may be something else completely unrelated. Plugs and wires were within 10k miles, fuel filter within 10k miles, just in case anyone was wondering. Factory opti, really hoping that isn't the problem
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Malicious
Hey guys... 97 WS6, about 123k miles. Up until about 3 weeks ago, the car would crank over and start the first hit. Recently, it's been ridiculously hot here and the car, if not having been run for a while, would crank and crank and crank, then finally get going but would stumble then finally run fine once it got up to regular idle speed. Talked to a buddy of mine, after some quick over AIM diag, he figured it was probably the coil acting up, since it likely had never been replaced, and that high temps cause the coil to act funny. Went and bought a replacement coil, swapped it out, hooked everything back up. Same thing. It started EASIER, but still cranked a few times before it fired, and it didn't just fire and go right to idle, it 'chugged' a time or two, not real bad like before, before it settled down. His next suggestion was possibly the ignition control module since it sits right by the cylinder head also. I don't want to name him in here, don't want him to think I'm doubting him(he's a LONG time member and has had his TT TA in GMHTP), I just want a few more opinions before I throw more money at this, in case someone else thinks it may be something else completely unrelated. Plugs and wires were within 10k miles, fuel filter within 10k miles, just in case anyone was wondering. Factory opti, really hoping that isn't the problem
check the fuel pressure........this is sounding like a fuel pump issue...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's on the list as well, I will check it out. The gas gauge has always acted funny, floating way worse than it should, not going totally to full. I will check that out as well, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Malicious; 08-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on checking fuel pressure
Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Borrowed a gauge from the motor pool at work, fitting were too long to fit under the cowl. Went and bought one from a local store and it worked. Turn the key over to on, the pressure spikes to about 42psi then just steadily drops. Once the car is running it stays at 38psi at idle, which depending on the other # wouldn't be a big thing, but everything I've read says the pressure should go up and stay up. Mine hits pressure then it just drops down to nothing. Fuel pump?

Quick Reply: Starting issue