LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fan troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan troubles

I'm having a problem with my cooling fan not kicking on. 94 Trans Am with an LT1. Ran a scan tool and the sensors are sending the signals to the pcm, and i have replaced the relays. Sound like a PCM problem? Any ideas? Thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Need more detail on what you are seeing with the scanner. Fans don't start until 226°. Does your scanner indicate that temp or higher and does it show that the fans are commanded on?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Default more info

The scanner wouldn't go that in depth, just showed the sensor relaying the temperature to the PCM. Beyond that, I can't tell you much. the fan works, i know that because i have it hot wired to the battery to run all the time. I replaced all three relays, and then used a volt meter to test power to the connection at the fan. I let the car go to about 230 or so and never got any power to the connection. So the problem lies somewhere between the signal leaving the sensor, and the signal reaching the relays. If you have any other ideas for things for me to check, Please let me know.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueLT1
The scanner wouldn't go that in depth, just showed the sensor relaying the temperature to the PCM. Beyond that, I can't tell you much. the fan works, i know that because i have it hot wired to the battery to run all the time. I replaced all three relays, and then used a volt meter to test power to the connection at the fan. I let the car go to about 230 or so and never got any power to the connection. So the problem lies somewhere between the signal leaving the sensor, and the signal reaching the relays. If you have any other ideas for things for me to check, Please let me know.
There is a whole section about the cooling system and fans on my website.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

im not sure what is exactly the same between 94s and the 96-97lt1s but i had a similar problem with my 97 that the fans would not turn on, relay was all good, but kept blowing a fuse for the fans over and over. Looked at a wiring diagram and realized the smog pump is wired with it. I guess the smog pump seized up and every time it when to turn on it would pop the fuse and disable my fans, unplugged the smog pump and fans kicked on. im just not sure if your motor is exactly the same.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Default fans

ok. thanks guys, i'll look into the smog pump idea and check out that website. I appreciate it!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

u could always wire in a manual fan switch to monitor it yourself if u don't track down the issue
Old 08-15-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had this issue with my stock PCM, i got it tuned and the issue went away. but in the meantime i used a fan switch, worked great

Quick Reply: Fan troubles