LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

madz28 tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default madz28 tune

i went with a madz28 tune. i like the tune but i had him adjust the shift firmness and i think its a little over the top i get on it a little on the hard side and the damn tires start chirping. Any one else have this problem with his tune.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats normal when you get the line psi raised for shift firmness. Its way better than being stock IMO
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh....yeah that's what increasing shift firmness is for.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt think they would be spinning the tires through the gears i was expecting faster shifts. i dont have the best tires in the world so it might be a contributing factor. when i go into a turn and it shifts the tires start spinning. i think thats what really bothers me the most.

ill run it for a little while and see how i like it in a few months if i dont like it ill have him reprogram it.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

maybe you should go try out a civic out i here the torque is low in them and its hell spinning the tires lol j/k
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

civic might have to much power for me. i think i need a pedal car

maybe something like this

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pedal car is badass as ****!

yea, yur spinnin tires cuz its shifting harder...throw sum good tires on there and you'll benefit from it
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adam1203
when i go into a turn and it shifts the tires start spinning. i think thats what really bothers me the most.
I know what the problem is... havin an automatic trans!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

too hard can be bad also. IMO it shouldn't be that aggresive. maybe have him adjust it down slightly
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

get some tires, that will help out a lot and you may feel different about switching things up. Look out for a used set of something sticky if your on a budget.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im running sumitomo htr h4 they literally have 4k on them. I think i might just drive nice and soft and wear the tires out as i wanted to wait and go to new rims when i bought new tires.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1203
i went with a madz28 tune. i like the tune but i had him adjust the shift firmness and i think its a little over the top i get on it a little on the hard side and the damn tires start chirping. Any one else have this problem with his tune.
Your wording (perhaps not intentional) makes it sound like it is his fault (which sounds to me like he did what you asked). What I would have had him do is change the performance shift tables and left the normal tables alone. That way you can put in a switch and change to the hard shifting stuff when you want it and switch back to normal when you don't. This only works on 94-95 PCMs. Firebirds came with the performance shift switch, but Camaros didn't. The PCMs were the same, so the switch can be added to the Camaro.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

I agree^^^ you kinda got what you asked for.. next time just say I don't want the nuts on the car to be "too big."

And Sumitomo tires aren't known for "grip" they are know for a good price.. Just take it easier around turns...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
Your wording (perhaps not intentional) makes it sound like it is his fault (which sounds to me like he did what you asked). What I would have had him do is change the performance shift tables and left the normal tables alone. That way you can put in a switch and change to the hard shifting stuff when you want it and switch back to normal when you don't. This only works on 94-95 PCMs. Firebirds came with the performance shift switch, but Camaros didn't. The PCMs were the same, so the switch can be added to the Camaro.
im not really blaming him but there could have been a better description. when i think about firming up shift points i think faster shifts. these shifts are kind of jaring at half throttle and are breaking the tires free. i really havent gotten on the car to hard.
i went around a conner in the rain last night after making this post and the car shifted and the rear broke loose and i wasnt even accelerating i get it the tires arent great but to me it seems like very hard shift points.

wasn't really an option of like well i want x amount of psi there wasnt much description. this is what there is a list of options and and on says shift points and then it says not recommended to be used in conjunction with a shift kit.

im not a tunner so i have no idea. maybe there is only two setting for tranny psi. i think the shifts can be pretty hard and yes like i stated there crappy tires.

maybe the problem isnt in his tune maybe its some where else and that's why i asked the question. i would definitely use him again or recommend him. i just would recommend increasing the shift firmness to freinds.

Last edited by Adam1203; 08-10-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Theres more then two psi settings in the pcm. Its all dependent on throttle position and mph. Its just a bunch of charts in the pcm with numbers in them. Even my FLT trans doesnt shift THAT hard.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

I had him tune mine and had the line pressure raised and I havnt had my tires spin any on turns or when it shifts.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
i was thinking about it last night. i put a new engine and tranny from a junk yark in the car. i bought it from a very reputable place and they said it was 100% stock. im wondering though if someone added a shift kit to the tranny at some point and the junk yard just happen to miss this or never even looked and thats where my problem is coming from.

Quick Reply: madz28 tune