LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Grounded out positive terminal, now zero power???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Grounded out positive terminal, now zero power???

Installed new engine, started up fine, so I went for first drive, and I kept hearing a loud POP increasing as rpm's went up, had very little power, lights dimming, wanting to idle low/die at stop. Then everything just goes out, engine, lights, dash, etc. Zero electrical power. Coast into a parking lot, pop hood to find that the hold down bracket I made for the battery was up against the unused positive post at the top....so basically everything just died.

Walk home, get my Blazer and install the battery from it...still no power to anything, but a multimeter from the positive terminal to a ground shows 12.9v? So...is there a breaker or fuse that trips in this situation that I can't seem to find?

Need help ASAP!!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked all of the fuses?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Yup, can't find any blown. I did just notice that after it sits for about 20+ min without the battery connected, then I hook it back up, everything has power again, locks, lights, dash, etc.....but as soon as I turn the key to start, I hear a 'click' then everything goes black again as if I disconnected the battery upon turning the key to 'start'.

What would cause this?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would the vats cause this?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

VATS is disabled in the tune, and it stopped reading my key a long time ago, so I put the correct resistor in the module and it has been no problem starting up since then.

Would the starter get shorted out due to this?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, there is definitly something that Fried. I do not recall any fuseable link wires in 4th gens but something definitly got burnt. Sounds like a relay as you turn the key it just shuts down the interior like you said, battery disconnected.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, took battery and starter to Autozone, battery tested good, 12.39v without load, and 11.09 with load...so a good charge should help it out.

The LT4 starter...when I went to pull it off, the gear was sticking out engaged with the flywheel already, before unbolting it. However, it tested out ok, during the test the gear popped in and out as normal and spun.

Going to try putting back on the car again to see what happens?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Before Putting everything back together, I made sure that everything was zip tied away from the headers and anything else, then installed starter and battery, and now voltmeter on dash reads about 13v and everything works fine now.

....except for the fact that now I have a loud pop/backfire coming from the exhaust, will start a new thread on that.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

So, I made it about a half mile in the car so far. Got it running and starting fine, must have started it about 10 -15 times while tracing a misfire. Fixed the problem, and it ran great, then a random storm came in, so I pulled over in a parking lot, shut off the car, put the t-tops on to wait it out. Went to start and as soon as I turn to RUN, all power goes out, so of course, won't start. Turn it back to ACCY, radio, locks, windows, etc all have power again. Repeat, the same thing happens, clock resets on radio to 1:00 each time i try to turn it to RUN.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Turns out the spring is worn out in the starter and it was shooting way too far out. Also noticed my negative terminal was stripped and i had a ground loose on the block. Replaced with new LT4 starter, fixed battery cable, and tighten ALL grounds, now it works fine.

Quick Reply: Grounded out positive terminal, now zero power???