LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 build questions

okso i'm an ls1 guy and I'm biulding an lt1 and I'm not as educated on all the specs of the lt1 as I am the ls1 stuff....

first off what is the deck height or block height (measurement from the crank centerline to the deck surface) of these things?

2: how much can you bore the blocks?

3: how big of a stroke can you put in these things before the pistons start coming out the bottom of the cylinder and/or having serious clearance issues?

4: how much can you mill the heads without the deck being too thin and without running into manifold fitiment problems?

5: What do I have to do to run a traditional sbc single plane mani and distributor on the LT1?

6: what kind/size of lifters can I run? I've heard they're the same in this department as ls1's where as you can drop in lsx style lifters (cts-v/ls7)...

7: what do I need to do to convert this thing to a solid roller?

there will be more questions but this is all I can think of right now. I am in the process of researching all of this myself but since there's so much I need to know I thought I would post up and see if anyone can help me out and save me some research time... any help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks alot
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1.) 9.025" seems to be pretty common, same as any other SBC.

2.) .060" is as far as you want to go. There really is no MAJOR benefit to going past .040". Going .030" (most popular) leaves you room in case the block needs to be bored again later down the line.

3.) Some people have built LT1s with 4.00" strokes, but it is MUCH easier and LESS expensive to stay with the conventional 3.75" and 3.85" stroke crankshafts. Using anything larger is for pure novelty.

4.) Depends on what heads you are using. I'd say any more than .040" and you're looking at some additional machining. That much milling is usually unnecessary. It's one of those things where there isn't a magic number.

5.) The intake needs to have the bolt holes redrilled and angles adjusted. You can remove the oil pump drive and install a conventional distributor. This is a huge topic on its own - do a search for sure.

6.) Stock replacement (LS7) lifters work great for the majority of hydraulic roller valvetrains.

7.) Same as any other SBC. Solid roller cam, lifters, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ssinister550
okso i'm an ls1 guy and I'm biulding an lt1 and I'm not as educated on all the specs of the lt1 as I am the ls1 stuff....

first off what is the deck height or block height (measurement from the crank centerline to the deck surface) of these things?

2: how much can you bore the blocks?

3: how big of a stroke can you put in these things before the pistons start coming out the bottom of the cylinder and/or having serious clearance issues?

4: how much can you mill the heads without the deck being too thin and without running into manifold fitiment problems?

5: What do I have to do to run a traditional sbc single plane mani and distributor on the LT1?

6: what kind/size of lifters can I run? I've heard they're the same in this department as ls1's where as you can drop in lsx style lifters (cts-v/ls7)...

7: what do I need to do to convert this thing to a solid roller?

there will be more questions but this is all I can think of right now. I am in the process of researching all of this myself but since there's so much I need to know I thought I would post up and see if anyone can help me out and save me some research time... any help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks alot

1.Mine was 9.024 stock they seem to be like a std SBC at the 9.025" area.

2. Dont exceed .060 over IMO even that makes the walls kind of thin......id stay under .050

3. 3.875 is about it on these motors
4. Actually not too sure on this one i would think it would depend on the casting (ie. stock or aftermarket heads) as for the block mine is decked so the piston is .005 down the hole and i dont have an issue...
5. To do this you will need to port match the runners on the intake cause they will likely be have to opened up height wise also you will need to redrill the heads for the SBC pattern or redrill the intake for the lt1 pattern. As for the dizzy just plug up the whole in the timing cover and pop a low profile one in the back just like a normal SBC.
6. The LS7 lifters will work.........i reccomend a morel lifter ive been using them for a few years now with no failures at all (knock on wood)....im currently running their lightweight HIPPO solid rollers with link bars and i am issue free.
7.To go solid roller your going to need a solid roller cam, solid roller lifters with link bars, a strong set of PR's prob 3/8" diamater., a good set of SR Springs (I reccomend PSI), Retainers, locks, and I'd reccomend a Jesel or equal shaft rocker setup for durability. If not a 7/16" stud roller rocker with a girdle is a must to maintain durability.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good deal thanks alot guys, anyone done a similar build? this one is going to be a 396 deal with a big single plane and a decent solid roller (24x/25x @.050) with stock ported heads that flow about 270 and ~13:1 compression, trying to gauge what I can expect from this thing it would be nice to make 500+ flywheel and ~425 ish @ the wheels through an auto but like I said I don"t deal with much LT stuff so I'm not sure but I would imagine those numbers aren't out of the realm of possibility for what I am doing....
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ssinister550
good deal thanks alot guys, anyone done a similar build? this one is going to be a 396 deal with a big single plane and a decent solid roller (24x/25x @.050) with stock ported heads that flow about 270 and ~13:1 compression, trying to gauge what I can expect from this thing it would be nice to make 500+ flywheel and ~425 ish @ the wheels through an auto but like I said I don"t deal with much LT stuff so I'm not sure but I would imagine those numbers aren't out of the realm of possibility for what I am doing....
yea thts absolutly possible I'm kinda close to that combo.........ive got a 385 with a single plane last year it made 470 rwhp with an unlocked 4000 converter, slicks and 4.10's and it was a AI headed, 13.2:1 motor with a stock intake manifold and a 25x/26x cam. And those numbers were made at a local dyno shop that is known to read low. Ive got the single plane on it now and 13.9:1 compression and I'm tuned.......with the converter locked I'm expecting 520-530rwhp.....