LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adv. auto Fuuuuuukkkkk uuuuuu...wifes starter went out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adv. auto Fuuuuuukkkkk uuuuuu...wifes starter went out

Its a new starter and already it took a ****. Luckily this time it was in front of the house, but damn, its new and probably less than 100 cranks. I had a extra one thats in the garage that I was able to put on and get it moving. Wtf is with adv. auto. I have water pump that took a ****, now a starter and I have a BRAND new window motor that is so fukn slow its unreal.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

I don't trust that aftermarket crap 90% of the time
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Real simple ...look on the box ....CHINESE parts ..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

lmao wtf. tho some parts last and some dont
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think napa parts are pretty decent quality and the good thing with them is that they provide a good warranty and will replace just about anything. I went through 3 starters in about a year and a half and had no problems just going in and replacing them. for at least the last 6 months I have not had any problems.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Man dont buy from Advance auto parts they are sinsiter in every way. They have the absolute worst quality products esp. belts and hoses. Buy from Napa if your going that route.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

duralast gold products from autozone are the best iv found. And iv used alot of their stuff working with my dad in our shop. I got married and needed more consistant work, now i even work for autozone lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you'd think someone on here would run some kind of rebuild/exchange service on alternators, water pumps and starters. Seems like we should be able to keep this in the USA if we tried.

Nothing sucks more than doing all the work and taking the time and then having to do it twice or more. Lifetime warranty sucks when you have labor/time on top of it to keep fixing the same broken parts.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

I quit going to Advanced, Dont ever get the Oil Sending Unit, Many people have got them from there and they Always seem to read super low
Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use to work for Advance, but it's been several years ago....the main problem I see with ANYTHING you get from them with a "lifetime" warranty is that A. the receipt is on thermal paper that is pretty much disappearing ink....doesn't matter whethere it's in your wallet, glovebox, or filed away at home, and B. their computer system's warranty lookup system only goes back 2 years.
For example: if you purchased a part on 8/15/08 or later, you are fairly safe, but if it was before then, you are screwed unless someone can make out your faded receipt. It is a running rollover type thing....2 years to the day...every day.
When I left there in 2002 my customer history had over several thousand dollars in parts between my father and I (we owned and maintained several old Chevys back then.) Now it is totally empty. If I hadn't printed my history on paper before I left I would have nothing. Oh and they won't print that out for you either.
Almost forgot....their stores are not linked so even if it is within your 2 year window of customer look-up...they can only look it up at the store you purchased it at UNLESS you can provide them with the store # (example the local one is #6170) or the telephone number for the store you bought it at.

For Napa....you usually need the receipt, but alot of their parts say Napa on them and they usually cover those without question.

For AutoZome....their system is linked completely. You could have bought something in Guam while you were stationed there ten years ago and they can look it up at any store as long as you can provide your phone number given at purchase, or your name and the store number you purchased it at, or your name and the zip code you used at the time of purchase. So pretty much unless you move and/or change phone numbers so much that you can't keep up with that info....or you are bad about registering your parts in friends or families names then you are covered. Yeah I work there, but I think they are hard to beat warranty wise. AutoZone's shipping sucks however because they don't have their own delivery and mostly rely on FedEx. It's constantly a problem due to someone at an AZ warehouse sending to the wrong store or FedEx delivering to the wrong address or not getting it to us on time. Advance tends to have about the quickest and most reliable shipping in the industry.

I know this is like a freakin novel, but I hope this insight helps someone. I can't comment good or bad about O'Reillys besides to say where I live they are a bunch of idiots besides one guy. LOL
Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Best advice I can give is do not use any parts from Advance unless you wont to change it out again and again. I know too many people who had to put on three compressors, two starters,etc. Yes it is under warrenty but the hassel and downtime is not worth it.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I often go to Pep Boys and Autozone because there’s several in my area. I know not to ask for any type of technical help. Neither store had any idea what "Limited Slip Additive" or "Positraction Additive" was. The kid in Pep Boys didn’t know what a posi is. These are (for the most part-there are some rare exceptions) the same guys that think hotrods are Hondas or Subarus and don’t know what rear wheel drive is.

Other than that, their parts are OK if you know what/how to ask for it. Obviously, these places aren’t for speed parts. German Castrol on sale, bulbs, car wash, etc.

I was excited when an Advanced Auto opened down the road, closer than anything else. On my first visit, I picked a few items like hose clamps and shop towels or something and stood by the register. The guy was right there, finishing up a phone call. He looked at me, money in hand and made a personal phone call. With my money back in my pocket, I walked out never to return.

In my business, it’s all about the customer and their satisfaction.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a auto zone opti with lifetime waranty hanging on a nail in my shop to remind me never again go the cheap route. the longest i had one last was about 6 month's. last one went, I took it in exchanged it installed the freshly remanufactured unit and code 16 and 36 dead unit. So I orderd a delphi, so far so good. And yes those oil sending unit are very lazy and read bad low.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

i have heard bad things about advanced and autozone. only go there if im in a pinch!

Quick Reply: Adv. auto Fuuuuuukkkkk uuuuuu...wifes starter went out