LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum rocker arm review

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
Obviously you didn't watch the video. At 6:30 in the video, he says "some of these click when you tighten them down, and these ones do." So either the scorpions you have are not the ones on this video, or you actually aren't getting your poly nut tight enough but think that you are.

So maybe you aren't "properly" adjusting them as you might think.
I watched the video and heard the guy say "clicking." I just do not consider that noise as clicking. I just consider it a friction noise from tightening the lock screw.

We are just calling the same noise different names. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please describe exactly what is clicking and why?
Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Please describe exactly what is clicking and why?
That's what I'm asking. Is it just friction noise? Or is there a fail safe on some poly locks that causes it to click when it's tightened down?

It's the first time I had ever seen it (that youtube video) which is why I asked...
Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ACE1252
If you think I'm trusting your experience over Comp Cams instructions you are an even bigger idiot than I already know. Nothing personal. You have simply shown far too much ignorance in your knowledge base for me to ever trust you. Along with no willingness to learn or admit to when you are wrong. I think you just like to troll anyone who has sense enough to know when you are full of it and point it out.
He's actually right though.

Each lifter has a different amount of available travel in the pre load spring, and plenty of people use "rule of thumb" type stuff pertaining to valve adjustment. While a half turn is generally acceptable, that might completely max out certain lifters available travel, which could cause breakage.

Theoretically, you want to be just about in the middle of the lifter preload travel after a valve adjustment, and if you want to know exactly what that is, you'll need to measure it using the appropriate tool.

For me, my motors are just regular old 4, 5, 6 hundred horse type motors where having the "optimal" valve adjustment isn't as crucial as on a 10,000 rpm 2k horsepower motor....
Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

That being said, you can also figure out how many turns of the rocker locking nut are needed to get the desired pre load distance. Find out your lifters available travel, find zero lash, and turn the nut until you get about in the center of the pre load. On an Ls7 lifter, 3/4 turn seems to be money.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
He's actually right though.

Each lifter has a different amount of available travel in the pre load spring, and plenty of people use "rule of thumb" type stuff pertaining to valve adjustment. While a half turn is generally acceptable, that might completely max out certain lifters available travel, which could cause breakage.
Comps instructions are well written and state 1/2 turn preload OR what your lifter manufacturer recommends. I do think that covers most(if not all) cases.

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-18-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

I have been running scorpions myself, no problems with noise, but the car is loud enough couldn't hear them anyway. Have put several thousand miles on them plus several rounds down the strip with no problems, but I know other people that have broken a rocker here and there, probably defective if not caused by mechanical interference... will go to shaft system in a year or so
Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Comps instructions are well written and state 1/2 turn preload OR what your lifter manufacturer recommends. I do think that covers most(if not all) cases.
Agree.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum rocker arm review