LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with adj. panhard rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with adj. panhard rod

This is on a 95 T/A. What kind of bolt is supposed to go here? I bought the car with this installed but the bar slides back and forth in the slot. I dont think its supposed to. Where can I find the right hardware for this spot? Thanks.
Also, what brand is this panhard bar? Its a single adjustable.

The bolt is too small in diameter for the hole. Also, I cant figure out the procedure to adjust this thing. The endlink wont spin. Ive tried vice grips and pliers. Theres not much to grab onto but its like its frozen. And how in the heck do you move the rear over if you adjust the bar out. Naturally the bolts not going to go back in the hole if the bar is longer. How do you do it? My rear is about 2 inches to the right. Thanks for the help. The car is sitting pretty bad right now. Heres a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQmRJbCRq0

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your missing the two aluminum end pieces that attatch to the rod end. you can see them in the picture below

If your rear is 2inches off there are other issues going on with your car. You need to figure out what got tweeked that far. A adj phb is only gonna bandaid whats really wrong. I would call UMI or BMR and see if they can send you those pieces and a correct size bolt and nut. since there pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 08-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Do you know what kind of bolt and spacers or whatever I need because even if I adjust it, the bolt isnt right so the bar still moves back and forth right now. I need the right hardware first. Can I just use washers as spacers? Is the bar supposed to sit in the middle of that slot? Also, the car had lowering springs and now has stock in the back. Its actually more like 1 inch, not 2. I measured it. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

You can get the hardware from UMI or any other suspension sponsor most of them sell the spacers too you would just need to measure your rod end to make sure they are the same
Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

What you are missing there are the aluminum step bushings. With the bushings in place the panhard will fit very snug in the mount. IIRC UMI manufacturers those step bushings in house so I would give them a call and they should be able to help you out. I would contact a local GM dealer to see if you can get the OEM hardware.

As for the adjusting I think I know what your problem may be...The panhard you have appears to be an off-car adjustable bar so you will want to take the bar off the car and then adjust the bar accordingly. Also, don't use the vice grips because the teeth on them won't give you a nice grab and it will just damage the powdercoat on the bar as well as the jam nut surfaces. I would pick up a crescent wrench that will go up to 1 1/4". Since your axle is two inches to the right you will want to lengthen the panhard bar so it will move towards the driver's side of the car. You might have to do it a few times to get it dead nuts on but you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Any other ways to move the rear end over to line the hole back up after lengthening the bar? I dont want to drive it like this to get a helper. Maybe I can move it by myself enough to line it up.
The pass. side of the car also sits higher than the drivers side. The opening from the tire to the quarter is alot greater on the pass. side.
Also, when adjusting this type of bar do I need to jack up the car on the rear end or the frame/body and let the rear hang?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The suspension needs to be loaded when you adjust it to length.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Like mentioned you need the step bushings that center the rod end in the mount, we do have them for $6.00 a set which can do one rod end.

As for the rod end not moving, which part won't move? The bearing in the housing or the rod end won't turn in or out of the panhard bar?

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-17-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

The threaded rod end wont turn in and out to be able to adjust it.
I thought when the jam nut was loosened that it would spin pretty easy but this one isnt.
Thanks for the help. Do you also have the bolt and nut to mount it or do they not come with it?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Got the step bushings ordered from UMI and the rod end is now adjusting correctly, Thanks Ryan. Now I need a stock bolt and nut if anyone has one lying around. PM me.

Quick Reply: Help with adj. panhard rod