LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is it a must to do shaft mount rockers for solid roller or does it depend....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it a must to do shaft mount rockers for solid roller or does it depend....

Alright, I have FINALLY decided what I'm going to do with my motor. This past year I have put less than 500 miles on my car and think it is safe to say mine is not a daily driver and its time to go solid roller. I'd like help from people who have had some experience with solid rollers, but anybody can feel free to give me some advice.

I was thinking about using my currect pro magnum roller rockers or upgrading to the ultra pro magnum, but need to know if shaft mount roller rockers are a must or does this highly depend on what rpm you will be spinning to and/or the amount of spring pressure the rockers will be dealing with?

Also is the main reason for upgrading to shaft mount roller rockers to just help keep from having to adjust the lash all the time, or are pro magnum/ultra pro magnums(or any non-shaft mount) known for breaking due to the high spring pressures that come with solid roller motors?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use GOOD stud mount rockers. I would add a rocker stud girdle if I were going to do so though, and it would all depend on the cam specs as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deflection and stability are the reasons why you want shaft mounts. Spring pressure is what causes the deflection of the stud, and generally people running an intense solid roller cam are running twice as much spring pressure as the average HR cam wants. There was a guy on yellowbullet awhile back running 800# open successfully on standard bbc 1.7 crane gold rockers. Was he losing a few hundredths of lift? Sure. Was it hurting the stability and longevity of his valvetrain? Probably, but he probably wasn't driving on the street with that setup

If you're not going too crazy with it (over 600# open) then run a set of jesel sportsmans... you can pick em up for about 900 bucks, and occasionally a reconditioned set will pop up jegs or ebay for about 700. Look at fastfatboy or SS RRR for good streetable solid roller setups. Fastfatboy runs shaft mounts and SS RRR runs girdle'd stud mounts I believe.

I don't really see the lash interval being a selling point. Realistically, if you're maximizing your setup, you'll play with the lash at the track to find the sweet spot, and might change it depending on the DA. Depending on how crazy you get with the rpm and lobes you could be changing valvesprings every 3 thousand miles anyways.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give you something to think about.... pick a hp goal. Realistically look at the RPM you'll need to spin to make that power with the heads you have, and the cam duration, lift, lobe profile that will get you there. Spring pressure comes next, and that dictates the pushrod and rocker setup that you should run.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should strongly consider shaft mount rockers at that point!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
You can use GOOD stud mount rockers. I would add a rocker stud girdle if I were going to do so though, and it would all depend on the cam specs as well.
Glad you brought the stud girdle up. Forgot to ask about that. Thanks. Also look you convinced me to upgrade my cam, now Im upgrading everything. lol

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Just to give you something to think about.... pick a hp goal. Realistically look at the RPM you'll need to spin to make that power with the heads you have, and the cam duration, lift, lobe profile that will get you there. Spring pressure comes next, and that dictates the pushrod and rocker setup that you should run.
800lbs!!! Sheesh! Also thanks for the help. Going to need it for my first time solid roller motor. Plus even though Lloyd Elliot won't admit it. I have bugged the crap out of him with all my questions. But he answers every question I ask him like it was a good question. Figured Id leave him alone for a little bit.

Quick Reply: Is it a must to do shaft mount rockers for solid roller or does it depend....