LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Deleted AIR pump in 94 camaro, do I need to have it tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleted AIR pump in 94 camaro, do I need to have it tuned?

I took off the air pump in my 94 camaro today and capped off the line with a vaccume plug, the check engine light did not turn on. Do I need to have it tuned out of the computer? Car seems to be running fine, dis I delete it the proper way?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as there is a good fuse in the system, an OBDI car does not need PCM programming. An OBDII car may or may not, depending on a few variables.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
As long as there is a good fuse in the system, an OBDI car does not need PCM programming. An OBDII car may or may not, depending on a few variables.
Fuse where? What kind? Please explain. And is just capping off the line the right way of doing it?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The factory AIR pump has a fuse in the fuse box under the hood. If it's still there you're good.

The AIR system has many more components than just the pump. You have the rubber line that connects to the intake ducting. This can be removed and capped with a 5/8" vacuum cap. Then there are the AIR injection tubes. These are the lines that go from the AIR pump to the exhaust manifolds/headers. You can remove them and plug each manifold with an M22 drain plug (OBDII cars use an M18, available at most parts stores). You will need to cut the crossover tube in order to completely remove it. You COULD leave these lines in, but that kind of defeats the purpose of removing the pump.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

I only had one line that I caped off with a 5/8" plug and one electrical connector.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do some cars not throw the check engine light, when i put longtubes on mine and deleted the AIR and EGR it throws the check engine light almost immediately.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

When the PCM calls for the EGR valve to be open and there is no change in manifold pressure via the MAP, the PCM detects it as a fault in the EGR system. This goes for both OBDI and II.

For the AIR pump, whenever it is running (on an OBDII car equipped with post-cat O2s) the PCM will look for a change in oxygen content via the post-cat O2s. If it does not see this change while the pump is supposed to be running, it sets the SES light.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
When the PCM calls for the EGR valve to be open and there is no change in manifold pressure via the MAP, the PCM detects it as a fault in the EGR system. This goes for both OBDI and II.

For the AIR pump, whenever it is running (on an OBDII car equipped with post-cat O2s) the PCM will look for a change in oxygen content via the post-cat O2s. If it does not see this change while the pump is supposed to be running, it sets the SES light.
gotcha thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=RamAir95TA;13760729]When the PCM calls for the EGR valve to be open and there is no change in manifold pressure via the MAP, the PCM detects it as a fault in the EGR system. This goes for both OBDI and II.

For the AIR pump, whenever it is running (on an OBDII car equipped with post-cat O2s) the PCM will look for a change in oxygen content via the post-cat O2s. If it does not see this change while the pump is supposed to be running, it sets the SES light.[/QUOTE

I may be wrong here but the air injection lines go directly into the manifold so it would stand to reason that even the readings from the upstream o2's would also be affected. I thought that the down stream o2's were mainly to detect problems with the catalytic converter(S obd2). This is just a guess through reasoning, so i very well could be wrong.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
I may be wrong here but the air injection lines go directly into the manifold so it would stand to reason that even the readings from the upstream o2's would also be affected. I thought that the down stream o2's were mainly to detect problems with the catalytic converter(S obd2). This is just a guess through reasoning, so i very well could be wrong.
AIR pump only operates in open loop to warm up the cat(s). Since it shuts off in closed loop, when codes begin to be monitored, no affect on the O2s.

Quick Reply: Deleted AIR pump in 94 camaro, do I need to have it tuned?