LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i just cant get rid of her

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy i just cant get rid of her

so i have a 94 z28 that has been through hell, she started life as a drug dealers car, he wrecked it, and the cops impounded it and supposedly fixed it up and slapped a light bar on it. Well after they blew her up, they sold it to this dumbass kid at an auction that threw in a "Vette' lt1" (his words) and a 700r4, as well as a wings west body kit(with wood screws no less) so i picked her up and tried to fix her up a bit, demodding all the ricer **** and adding peices from my 99' donor camaro, and im at a crossroads. I love the car, like i can see past the problems and all like no one else, i mean at this point its got a face only a father could love. But i guess my question is, should i save her from the scrap heap and keep trying, or should i just give up and move on? im obviously in need of some confidence boosting lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you like it keep going with it. i hate seeing cars go to the scrap pile. i just sank more into my car then its worth. didnt phase me the least its got a ton of sentimental value though.

the way i look at it is it cost me less then my last g/f did and i got way more enjoyment out of it.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel that way, and you like working on it, and have the money to put into it....keep it. Make it a long-term project to work on in your spare time. That's what I did. Mine was a salvage title that the previous guy started rebuilding with donor parts, then I got it from him and continued the work. Finally about to come to fruition nearly 2 years later. It had no mechanical problems so it was driveable since day 1, but it's about 4 different colors and has primer spots on the front. It got laughed at at the fbody gathering in Atlanta last year....but I assure you no one is going to laugh at her next year.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam1203
...the way i look at it is it cost me less then my last g/f did and i got way more enjoyment out of it.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true, i just get sick of being the only one that appreciates it for what it is, and im finally at a place where i can get something nicer, but im just not sure if i want too, i mean to me its not just a car its like i have formed a bond with it, and cant let it go, its sortof like a great white buffalo situation lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
true, i just get sick of being the only one that appreciates it for what it is, and im finally at a place where i can get something nicer, but im just not sure if i want too, i mean to me its not just a car its like i have formed a bond with it, and cant let it go, its sortof like a great white buffalo situation lol
When I made the appt with the body shop for paint a couple weeks ago, my wife said "By the time you are done with this car, you could have bought one already in good shape and not done all this work on it....but it probably would not have been as much fun for you would it." She was right...nothing like putting a lot of work into something and ending up with an eye-catcher.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like it, fix it and enjoy it.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep it and make it what you want it to be.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

I would say keep it. If you end up getting rid of it, you wish you didn't later in life. I wish I still had a couple of cars that I got rid of. With that in mind, I've still got my '85 Trans Am, 10 years after I bought it. It runs great, just needs transmission work, and paint, and some interior, etc. But I won't get rid of it.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

pics of said car before and after
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude I got my car when I was 17, and have poured atleast 20k in repairs, mods, stereo, rims/tires since. I would still do it all over again if I had the chance.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

some cars have a soul
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brucer
some cars have a soul
I can vouch for that. And some can get very jealous when you let other things take priority over them.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Launching!

The way I see it you owe it to the car to finish what you started. The car stuck by you when you didnt have money and got you where you needed to go, maybe not in the best of style but it got you there. Now you are in a better situation as you say so I think you owe it to you and the car to put some money into it and restore it to former glory.
The process wont be easy but you will enjoy the finished project 100 times more than buying somebody elses work. Trust me.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

as long as this isn't a financial burden, then do it for yourself. Don't do it for the car It's easy to quit, it's harder to finish. Starting and finishing a project is so much more rewarding than anything else. Hell, mine sat in the garage for 3 years as I slowly put it back together. Everyone was saying 'junk it', or 'get rid of it'. Now that it's done and driving again, I'm happy and proud. I took it part, took me longer than expected to put it together, but I made a commitment to finish what I start and that kept me pushing through to get it done.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i mean, the way im sortof looking at is is, i can either spen 8 or 9 grand and find an f-body thats in much better shape and ls1 equipped lol, or i can use that to that for a flat black paint job(idk why i like flat black but i just do) and do some engine work, and be at better than i would starting over. hmmm
Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i mean i dont really want something that is too mice to have fun in
Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

I did the same with my car it has had like 4 donors to it at this point and climbing
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 1989 Formula 350 that has been through 2 trans, 3 motors, and too many shady mechanics who didn't know what they were doing. You will never get your money back, you will never find a mechanic that knows the car and it's significance better than you, you will regret getting rid of it, and even IF you find a car you LOVE with all the work already done to it. You will mod it and continue to pour money into it anyway.

Keep her, make her your own, and be proud to say "built not bought".
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah man I know the feeling. I have had my car for over 2 years and its only been driving for 10 months. My total investment follow like this. 4400 for the car, 3000 in mods. and 8000ish into repairs (mainly 2 engines) and I still have to rebuild the transmission this winter. Would I do it all again. Nope that could have bought me a c5 vette or GTO. My car just does not want to make 157k on the odo. Its been at 156,900 for the last 18 months.

Quick Reply: i just cant get rid of her