LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tips for dropping in the new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips for dropping in the new engine?

So I pulled my motor and had it rebuilt and have spent the last couple of months prepping it for the install. Flywheel and clutch are not connected, none of the accessories, etc.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions about what to do that makes things easier in the long run?

Such as: is it easier to connect the motor mounts to the block then drop it in, or connect it to the car and then try to line it up?

Hook up sensors, plugs and what not now or later?

Should I sit the headers lose in thier new positions and drop the motor in on top or wait to slide them in later?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

completely assemble the motor, including kmember/trans/wiring harness and all accessories. Then slide in from the bottom and hook up the coolant lines/brake lines/pcm inside the car.

Believe me, this is easier than doing it from the top. Even if you took it out that way, it will be easier to slide it in from the bottom with all accessories and headers/wires/plugs/sensors etc. So much easier doing that work outside the confines of our engine bays.

Hell I just spent 8 hours adjusting my rockers and changing valve cover gaskets and header gaskets. If I do this again, I'm dropping the engine out the bottom and doing it this way, easier on my back/knuckles hands, etc...