LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fixed my busted ABS module...Now works perfectly again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fixed my busted ABS module...Now works perfectly again.

ABS went to Hell recently and I determined it had to be the ABS module. I pulled the module and removed the bottom cover to expose three large metal gears that drive the pistons in the ABS-VI module.

A nut had backed off and a gear had fallen off causing the ABS to fail. No other damage detected. Replaced the gear and loc-tited the nut as well as the two other nuts for the other two gears and the ABS now works flawless.

Just wanted to pass this along for you guys that have issues with the ABS before making the decision to simply chuck it.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
ABS went to Hell recently and I determined it had to be the ABS module. I pulled the module and removed the bottom cover to expose three large metal gears that drive the pistons in the ABS-VI module.

A nut had backed off and a gear had fallen off causing the ABS to fail. No other damage detected. Replaced the gear and loc-tited the nut as well as the two other nuts for the other two gears and the ABS now works flawless.

Just wanted to pass this along for you guys that have issues with the ABS before making the decision to simply chuck it.
Just curious man, but how did you bleed the ABS Block since you removed it completely? I've heard the only way to get all the air out of the block is to cycle it with a GM Tech tool? Is this correct?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if the module is off, manually raise the 3 pistons by turning the gears full CCW. Or assuming there are no ABS faults, turn the key on for 10 seconds. Turn it off then back on and the pistons should re-home themselves.

The way I understand it, if a piston is NOT homed, the fluid will not flow period to the appropriate caliper. Also the way I understand it, the tech one scan tool is NOT essential for our ABS.

Quick Reply: Fixed my busted ABS module...Now works perfectly again.