LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rebuilt or replace lt1

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt or replace lt1

hi guys
i just bought a camaro 1996 z28 convertible with lt1 engine and after few days the engine is blow up so what should i do
should i replace it or rebuilt it or sell it
and what is the cheaper to rebuilt or replace it ?
and how much will cost ?
i want a stock one
the car is so clean it looks like new i rather to fix it than sale it

thank you
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude only a few day it blow, after u bought it, dude ! you need get who ever sell the car to court, sound like lemon car, unless you get it for really really cheap, im talk about couple hundred dollar. does your state have lemon law ?

Do u know how to rebuild yourself, do you know how to swap engine ?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by killagt
dude only a few day it blow, after u bought it, dude ! you need get who ever sell the car to court, sound like lemon car, unless you get it for really really cheap, im talk about couple hundred dollar. does your state have lemon law ?

Do u know how to rebuild yourself, do you know how to swap engine ?
i bought the car from old guy and he is living so far away and i do not have time for the court
i dont know if my state has lemon low

i dont know how to rebuild it or fix it even if i know i dont have time couse im going to engineering school i am so busy

what do you recommended.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monster of kuwait
i bought the car from old guy and he is living so far away and i do not have time for the court
i dont know if my state has lemon low

i dont know how to rebuild it or fix it even if i know i dont have time couse im going to engineering school i am so busy

what do you recommended.
call that old man up, mabe he can give you some moneys back, but I dont think he doing anything, since he knew the engine already have problem. how much did you pay for it ?

and when you say blow, what exactly happent ? mabe something simple fix, if you want go cheap way, find a mechanic you trust, talk to him about the swap in another engine ( yunk yard or ebay ),
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 AM

call that old man up, mabe he can give you some moneys back, but I dont think he doing anything, since he knew the engine already have problem. how much did you pay for it ?

and when you say blow, what exactly happent ? mabe something simple fix, if you want go cheap way, find a mechanic you trust, talk to him about the swap in another engine ( yunk yard or ebay ),
i went to mechanic yesterday and he said you have to rebuild the engine or replace it
we were talking about 2000$ for replacing
but i dont know how much will cost to rebuilt it?do you have any idea
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you try different mechanic ? a guy told me i have to replace my engine and tranmission and clutch, because it made knock, find out my exhault it hit the something, 2 min fix, the noise is gone.

Try different mechanic.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM

Have you try different mechanic ? a guy told me i have to replace my engine and tranmission and clutch, because it made knock, find out my exhault it hit the something, 2 min fix, the noise is gone.

Try different mechanic.
first the water in radiator is mixing up with engine oil (gasket head is fucked up )secound the engine it does not working and when i trying to trun on it makes a knock noise
and the mechanic is one of my friend
Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

how the car run when first you drive the car ? did you check everything before you buy it ? how much did u pay for it ?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Rod knock + blown head gasket(s) = rebuild. Find a GOOD machinist in your area. A comprehensive stock rebuild will cost about $1600.00. Find out what your mechanic will charge you to pull and reinstall the engine.

*Those from OK who can suggest a good machine shop please chime in*
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, lemon laws are for new cars- dealer gets 3 chances to (fail to) fix the same problem/defect before lemon litigation can be pursued. Not something you can do on a 16 year old car. These things are as-is, period unless someone is unwise enough to offer a warranty. Dealerships that come into possession of these cars and then sell them often offer a "it'll get you home" 1,000 mile warranty and that's it.

If it's a beautiful car, fix it and enjoy it. That's part of owning these cars. They demand a piece of you one way or another. But then you have a great car- you're not another random a$$hole with an Audi.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gojira94
BTW, lemon laws are for new cars- dealer gets 3 chances to (fail to) fix the same problem/defect before lemon litigation can be pursued. Not something you can do on a 16 year old car. These things are as-is, period unless someone is unwise enough to offer a warranty. Dealerships that come into possession of these cars and then sell them often offer a "it'll get you home" 1,000 mile warranty and that's it.

If it's a beautiful car, fix it and enjoy it. That's part of owning these cars. They demand a piece of you one way or another. But then you have a great car- you're not another random a$$hole with an Audi.
Beat me to the lemon law thing. I had a lady i sold a car to try to sue me after the check engine light came on two weeks after i sold her the car, called bitching about the lemon law and calling my lawyer blah blah blah. Turned out it was just for an o2 sensor. as for this car a rebuild by A GOOD MECH. is your best bet
Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojira94

why have to be Audi ? that POS, lol i cant think off another POS car atm
Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Audi has a high douchebag factor. So does the BMW 3 series. Eurojunk fanboys...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monster of kuwait
first the water in radiator is mixing up with engine oil (gasket head is fucked up )secound the engine it does not working and when i trying to trun on it makes a knock noise
and the mechanic is one of my friend
Could be getting in from the oil cooler if your car has one.

How about oil pressure? Good? Decent? Non existent?

The short block should be assessed to see if it is a bottom end problem or just head gaskets. When you say knock noise is it a metallic ping or like someone knocking on a wood door, maybe accompanied with a bit of squeaking?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

that is bullshit id be up the sellers *** over that i think. That really sucks that it had to happen to you. What did you pay for the car?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheTransporter69
that is bullshit id be up the sellers *** over that i think. That really sucks that it had to happen to you. What did you pay for the car?
That what I say, I will drove that POS he selling back to the old guy, park in his front yard. And call a lawyer.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Take a look at this it is a 95 motor I don't believe there is to much different with it. Good Luck

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigD383lt1
Take a look at this it is a 95 motor I don't believe there is to much different with it. Good Luck

95 lt1 $1,845.00

its cheap compair to 96-97 5.7L engine $5,781.00 !!!!!!!! WTF
Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rebuild time..
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Question

Originally Posted by BigD383lt1

please take a look for this site
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3524wt_1008

i think its good deal

Quick Reply: rebuilt or replace lt1