LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valve spring change getting the best of me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve spring change getting the best of me...

Ok its official!! Changing Valve springs SUCKS!!

I Bought "Tim's Tool" I have been using the rope and TDC method...

Every time I go to compress the spring the valve goes with it..

I can not get the Keepers to separate for the life of me..

I have read all kinds of stuff...Tap the retainer with a mallet, Put a socket over the retainer and tap it with a hammer, Take a small socket and hit the keeper itself...

I have tried everything and have only managed to get 1 spring off... They are dual springs

Someone give me some insight!! Or just come do it..lol
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you have a cyl. leakdown tool in the heads to prevent the valves from dropping in the bore? Yes you need to hit the springs before you put the tool on and while the tool is on. They should come apart with finess.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't just tap the springs with a socket on them...you have to give them a good whack. And on some of them, expect one of the keepers to jump out when you do it.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
I hope you have a cyl. leakdown tool in the heads to prevent the valves from dropping in the bore? Yes you need to hit the springs before you put the tool on and while the tool is on. They should come apart with finess.
I have the piston at TDC with rope in the cylinder....I have a big compressor but its late at night and I really just wanted to get both springs off the #1 so I can start measuring spring height...I will use the air tomorrow on the rest of the cylinders...

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You can't just tap the springs with a socket on them...you have to give them a good whack. And on some of them, expect one of the keepers to jump out when you do it.
Well I said tap because I didn't want to say I whacked it and someone freak out on me and tell me not to hit it too hard.... I have give it some pretty good whacks though with no avail... Guess I'm just not holding my mouth right...

Matt
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see no reason at all to use rope or air. I think it unnecessarily complicates the process.

Go to shbox's website and get a diagram of what cyls are at TDC at what point in the rotation. You can use the crank hub pointer if it has not been changed from factory alignment, or you can see just use the firing order and you will know which cyl is at TDC next after the one you're currently working on.

Make sure you're completely at TDC with the cylinder you're working on and you should be good to go. A sharp whack will release the old retainers, and the new one should go in just fine this way.

The valve does drop a tiny bit even at true TDC but the tims tool will compress even my patriot dual springs enough to get it on the valve...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
I see no reason at all to use rope or air. I think it unnecessarily complicates the process.

Go to shbox's website and get a diagram of what cyls are at TDC at what point in the rotation. You can use the crank hub pointer if it has not been changed from factory alignment, or you can see just use the firing order and you will know which cyl is at TDC next after the one you're currently working on.

Make sure you're completely at TDC with the cylinder you're working on and you should be good to go. A sharp whack will release the old retainers, and the new one should go in just fine this way.

The valve does drop a tiny bit even at true TDC but the tims tool will compress even my patriot dual springs enough to get it on the valve...

Gregbob.....when do you usually give it a sharp wack? before you put the Tim's tool on or after you have it compressed??
Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

About halfway compressed with the tims tool. You would want to be careful about having it all the way compressed, then whacking it as you could push the valve into the piston a little too hard. Putting some pressure on it with the tool though, and then whacking it should release the retainers, then tighten the tool on down enough to suck them out with a magnet.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

lol i just did mine with a home made tool. the first few sucked but then i got the hang of it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they're not separating easily the valvetrain was NOT controlled. bouncing, floating, or whatever you want to call it. I guess that's a good sign for your problem hopefully getting solved. If you're going to BFH your valves or retainers do it with the spring NOT compressed.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
If you're going to BFH your valves or retainers do it with the spring NOT compressed.
I agree, I guess I should have been more clear.

If it's taking A LOT of force to get them to pop, to where you need to BFH them, dont compress the tool very much at all.

I compressed mine a few turns, and a sharp whack with a socket and something to lightly hit it with popped them loose.

If yours are harder than that, like I said be careful about smacking the valve into the piston.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

i put a lil magnet on the top of the valve to keep the locks from falling into the motor if they pop off too hard
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

About halfway compressed with the tims tool. You would want to be careful about having it all the way compressed, then whacking it as you could push the valve into the piston a little too hard. Putting some pressure on it with the tool though, and then whacking it should release the retainers, then tighten the tool on down enough to suck them out with a magnet.
THIS WORKED GREAT!! Thanks.. I was trying to whack the retainer then put Tim's tool on and it just would not work...This seemed to work very good...

Thanks

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
lol i just did mine with a home made tool. the first few sucked but then i got the hang of it.
yea Seems to be a slight learning curve...Once I do a few I am sure it will be the same for me too...

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
if they're not separating easily the valvetrain was NOT controlled. bouncing, floating, or whatever you want to call it. I guess that's a good sign for your problem hopefully getting solved. If you're going to BFH your valves or retainers do it with the spring NOT compressed.
I have helped replace springs before and they were not nearly as stubborn as mine... With hold old they are and the improper spring height I am sure there was some float causing them to be harder to get off...

Thanks everyone!!

Matt
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to hear. Keep us updated
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need rope if you have the cylinder at TDC. Your wasting your time.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is nearly impossible to drop the valve completely out of the guide and into the cylinder. The piston would have to be a BDC for this to happen and I am still not convinced it would even happen then. I have had the valve fall down into the guide and a magnetic retrieve or turning the crank brings it right back up so dont freak out if it happens.

As it has been said above. As long as the piston is rather close to TDC, the spring can be changed and no other methods of holding the valve up are needed.

Best tool for spring chages.
Old Crane dual spring compressor hands down. Makes for very easy work.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Good to hear. Keep us updated
Thanks again! will do!

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
You dont need rope if you have the cylinder at TDC. Your wasting your time.
ok thanks!

Originally Posted by wrd1972
It is nearly impossible to drop the valve completely out of the guide and into the cylinder. The piston would have to be a BDC for this to happen and I am still not convinced it would even happen then. I have had the valve fall down into the guide and a magnetic retrieve or turning the crank brings it right back up so dont freak out if it happens.

As it has been said above. As long as the piston is rather close to TDC, the spring can be changed and no other methods of holding the valve up are needed.

Best tool for spring chages.
Old Crane dual spring compressor hands down. Makes for very easy work.
Thanks for the tips! im gonna grab a cold drink and turn the radio on and just take my time through it...I have to re-shim all of the too..

I already bought the Tim's tool but if i ever buy another one i will keep that in mind!
Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is actually not possible for the valve to drop completely out. The valve stem is something like 5" long (forget off the top of my head) and there is only 3.48" of stroke. That doesn't mean you want to let one go though.

Quick Reply: Valve spring change getting the best of me...