LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

02 wire hack and rant....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 wire hack and rant....

well, i've been chasing a gremlin around till i'm just plain f'ing tired of it... heres the deal... i didn't know any better but when i installed my LT's instead of buying a harness extension for the PS connection i cut it added 12" of wire and made crush tube connections ,i took my time doing it cause i'm a lil OCD but since then i have had o2 issues...both o2's are new one wire delco's from the stealership...Data master and Solomon confirm the PS is jumping in and out of closed loop causing part throttle stumble and fuel load up at an idle GOD I HATE IT! when its cold runs great if i unplug'em runs great blm's are low like there isn't an exhaust leak ....my theory is that the non heated o2's aren't staying hot enough to function properly since they "especally the PS" are further down stream than on stock manifolds and stainless doesn't retain heat...i have DM logs if anyone would like to see...i just dont know how to post em'

i'm currently running with the o2's unplugged and issue is nonexistent,...but being that i'm OCD bout my car it bugs the crap outta me.. Also is the o2 wire really that damn sensitive? only way i could make it any better connected is to solder it straight to the damn o2's bare wire...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same problem. Bought new o2's from the stealership and got 2 12" extention harnesses. I haven't had any problems since.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been dealing with the same issue
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

just buy the premade extensions. That what i did when i put my LTs on and its been fine since day 1.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said..
i cut and spliced already so...
say i buy and install an ext. i still have to splice the plug back on that was cut off, so i dont see how buying those ext's would make any difference ....seriously the wiring i installed cannot be that different from a bought ext. and its connections....... i even used liquid electrical tape to seal the double crimped connections so no moister or dirt is even a factor...thus my theory of the non heated o2 and Lt's being the culprit....*plus aside from MANFRED's post you guys have 4-wire heated o2's...
this may be what i need to convert to....i hate just f'ing guessing and throwing parts at ****!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.fastbirdperf.com/93-97F-Body/93HeatedO2.htm

Check out Fastbird's page. He's a member on here and on LTXTech. Sounds exactly like your problem. Splicing wiring (as long as it's done right and you've used the right type of wire) wouldn't cause this issue. If you read the description on Fastbird's site, it explains your problem to the T.

Edit: You might want to PM him (his name is Fastbird93 on this page, and just Fastbird on LTXTech) to let him know you're interested in his harness and/or have paid for one through his site. He's doing a pretty extensive build right now, and has a lot of other stuff on his mind. Letting him know by PM might be a good idea. As far as I know, he makes all the products he sells himself.

Quick Reply: 02 wire hack and rant....